How-To: Installing a 2005 Nissan Titan 150 amp Alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Installing a 2005 Nissan Titan 150 amp Alternator

So we all know that we can do a bolt-on upgrade to the 90amp Maxima alternator, which is a great bump up from the stock 70amp alternator.

But if you have done some upgrades such as dual radiator e-fans, aftermarket sound system, etc.. you might need more than just the 90amp.

Mind you that the 90amp rating is generally at its peak RPM, which is around 5000 rpms. The common drive range is 2-4000.

There are a few other choices for alternators as well;
    SATAN and a few others have ran the 2003 Nissan 350Z 110amp alternator (almost a direct bolt in)
    I have ran the 1999 Nissan Maxima 125 alternator (requires some modification)
    I am sure there are other ones as well.
    And a GM 160 amp (mind you, not Nissan)

Well, my 99 Maxima alternator was going out and I knew I had a life time warranty on it with Napa.
    So I decided to research other alternatives.
    I found that the 2005 Nissan Titan alternator has the highest output of 150amp and requires very little modifications to install it.
    Its kinda spendy though, but its well worth it. Especially if you get one that has a life time warranty on it.
    The total was around $285.

The alternator as it sits. Its pretty beefy.

The documentation that it came with. Notice that amps by RPM specs. Looks good!!

Stock z31 plug. You may need to put a bigger i-crimp on it.

I made this harness for the ground for the alternator to be a quick unplug.

Notice the pulley has more ribs. Thats okay. You don't need to get a wider belt. The belt I am using is the stock z31 alternator belt.

This is the only modification you need to do (unless you get a different alternator bracket).
    This bracket I made is simply an extension for the adjuster. The alternator bracket is the stock z31 one.

All bolted in. It bolts up tight and works great!

Re: How-To: Installing a 2005 Nissan Titan 150 amp Alternato

what if that extension you made rattles loose collapses or is there a way to secure it good? Great find though i will probably do this to my 86na when i convert it to the passenger side.
    86 NA
    87 Turbo
    Member of the "zetto sun-ichi" group

Local MN car forum/club anyone welcome..... fivezeroseven.net join!

Comment

Why would that happen? Bolts have lock washers and the spades fit tightly together. Other than the spade its nearly a stock setup.
      Hmmm, Whats next?
      Full Size Bronco, smashing shit.

84ZXT

Comment

I think he meant the extension for the adjustment bracet. I think as long as the alternator end of the extension is tight up against the alt casing it shouldn't move or collapse.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
        1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
        2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

yeah i was referring to what nissanegg said.
          86 NA
          87 Turbo

Comment

so if you're making the adjustment bracket leave a bit of metal on both sides so you can heat and bend so that it braces the sides of the adjustment ear, like so:

they dont have to even be that long. just little tabs like you see on banjo bolts for brake caliper lines.

Comment

nice find on the alternator too :-)

Comment

Good find, when mine dies I'll look at doing this
                Originally posted by TearingRaven
                Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

Comment

Rat1314 wrote: Good find, when mine dies I'll look at doing this
                  +1

Silver 86T 3" turbo back Cm exhaust ST Springs / Tokiko Blues
                  87-89 turbo front hubs z32 brakes in front Z32 Master Cylinder
                  Autometer boost gauge a-pillar pod, autometer oil temp and pressure.
                  5zigen FN01R-C FRONT 17x8.5 245/45 REAR 17x10 285/40 rubber Kumho ECSTA ASX
                  Turbo XS BC, EGRblocked off, 5% limo tint

Comment

So far so good! No problems.

The extension bracket I made is just a strip of 1/8" steel with two holes for the bolts.
                    I used locking washers.

If done right, I guarantee that it will not come loose.

Comment

edicer2 wrote: what if that extension you made rattles loose collapses or is there a way to secure it good? Great find though i will probably do this to my 86na when i convert it to the passenger side.
                      For the 86 n/a, you will need to change the pulley to the "V" belt type.
                      "zetto sun-ichi" group"

Comment

[quote]tnokes9 wrote:
                        Originally posted by edicer2
                        what if that extension you made rattles loose collapses or is there a way to secure it good? Great find though i will probably do this to my 86na when i convert it to the passenger side.
                        can i swap a pulley that has 1 ribbed and 2 v? I also want to swap it to the passenger side so when i want to turbo it. I think i still have my brackets i bought from someone.
                        86 NA
                        87 Turbo

Comment

[quote]edicer2 wrote: [quote=tnokes9]
                          Originally posted by edicer2

can i swap a pulley that has 1 ribbed and 2 v? I also want to swap it to the passenger side so when i want to turbo it. I think i still have my brackets i bought from someone.
                          With the V belt type pulleys you will need to change something for it to work.
                          You can take off the stock z31 pulley from the alternator, bore it out and you should be good.

It might be easier to just swap to the turbo crank pulley that has the 1 ribbed and 2 v's and grab the waterpump ribbed pulley as well.

Comment

holy macaroni 150A!

Comment

[attachment=1:2szn19xb]IMAG0234-1-1.jpg[/attachment:2szn19xb]
                              [attachment=0:2szn19xb]IMAG0233-1.jpg[/attachment:2szn19xb]

I used the pully off my old maxima 90 amp small spacer used behind the pully. Install was a breeze

Comment

Working...
                              X