radiator leaking coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• radiator leaking coolant

Every 84-89 ZX that I have had ( and I have had a bunch of them over the years ) has leaked coolant. At least once a week ( and sometimes more in the summer ) I have had to add water/antifreeze. I have checked all around the front of the engine and radiator with no luck. I have even added stop leak to the radiator. I never see any water on the ground either. Where does it all go?? I'm just glad that I never go on any long trips where I could end up with a overheated engine. I have 4 86-89 ZXs now and they all have this problem.

Pressure test the coolant system. Check your radiator cap as well. If that seal looks rotted out/janky then change it.

It's easy to spot/smell a headgasket fail either by checking your oil or having someone rev the engine up with you near the back of the car to see if it's doing the white smoke/coolant smell.

Bout all i can think of. It's an older car and rubber hoses do have a life expectancy. May be a good idea to run the car hard at operating temps, park it in the driveway for cool down and see if it drips from something like a heater hose or maybe your closed t stat loop hose. There are ALOT of points to check for failure/leaks on a stock z.
    vg30'd s13 in progress. Shocks. Pegs. Lucky.

Comment

Something is wrong with your cars. My 85 is perfectly dry never leaks. Totally flushed the system when I got her and put fresh coolant put back in. Still going good.
      Black 1985 na/coupe brought back from the dead.
      2000 frontier for work.
      2004 PT Cruiser for gettin' grocery's.

Comment

Working...
      X