Nistuned JWT ECU dying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nistuned JWT ECU dying?

I do not know what is going on with this ECU, I just got it back from Nistune because of some issues it had due to a firmware update. I'm pretty certain it is the ECU. The car ran pretty good Friday when I got the ECU back from them but had a couple hiccups, Saturday those hiccups turned into a full blown issue. Friday I had the car sitting and idling, I wanted to make sure the e-fans were going to come on before I took it out for a test drive, it had been sitting a while. It had idled about 20 minutes and just shut off, that itself is not all to odd its been known to do that from time to time. However this time I kept hearing the fuel pump surge in rapid pulses, I opened the door to get the key and heard the fuel pump relay clicking in rapid fire. I've never had it do that. It only happened once on Friday, I went out for a quick 10 minute ride came back to the house and shut it down and left for work.

Saturday I went to drive it to a friends. I started it up, and it idled for about 2 minutes then did the clicking thing again. I had to shut the key off and wait for about a minute then it started right back up. I started it up again and it idled a few more minutes then started to sputter and blow huge amounts of black smoke. It flooded completely in just a couple seconds, I had to replace the plugs to get it to run again.

Today I went out and jumped the fuel pump circuit to keep it running. I thought maybe I'm having a grounding issue. So with the pump jumped I started the car, it ran for a few minutes then just shut off and wouldn't start back up, just like before but minus the relay clicking like crazy. As for the flooding I swapped the MAF as well as the CHTS, Nistune is reporting no codes out of the ordinary, yet it is still flooding periodically. Sometimes it does it right away sometimes it will run for a while before doing it. I'm completely stumped. I'm thinking maybe the ECU is dying. I have another 88 ECU around here somewhere that came out of the car. What would it take to transfer all the Nistune hardware into it?

I made a video of the car running a bit then shutting down with the clicking so you could see exactly what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL30XazaM9Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]] Anyone have any ideas on what could be going on?
    2007 Nissan 350Z Base: 13.476 @ 103.870 MPH

1988 Nissan 300ZX Shiro Special New Setup 11.979@117.34 MPH

Hmmmm possible you have bad wiring causing intermittent power cuts from the switched power (fusible link to ignition, and ignition to efi relay)

Comment

So I should pretty much start with The fusable links then. It's worth a shot because I'm stumped.

Comment

I think you may be right G-E. I pulled the EFI relay out of the fender and was probing it. It appeared to be ok, after checking it the car ran for almost an hour with no issue before I shut it down. Today I started it up and it acted up almost right away. I unplugged the EFI relay then plugged it back in and it ran fine until I shut it down. Guess I'll be replacing the relay and chasing wires.

Comment

WOW. How likely is this? I have what seems like the same issue I've been trying to figure out on my 87T. JWT 3bar ECU, Nistune, etc. This sounds like we have the same issue.

I would be driving along just fine and suddenly it would die. Trying to restart, it would just chug along running super rich and barely able to stay running. It actually flooded out when I tried to restart it. Pulled the plugs and tried again, still running so rich it was barely firing... eventually I re-flashed the maps from PC to ECU and she started right up like nothing ever happened.
          I had a code for high fuel pump current, so I wired in a bypass off the battery. I had a suspicion that it could be power related so I also wired the EFI relay signal power straight to the battery, so it was 'always on' but current was still being carried by the switching of the relay and associated wiring (hence chopping off half of the potential 'problem' of the circuit if it was dropping power on the switched side).

It did it again.

So the next test is wiring the ECU directly to the battery. If it happens again with the power directly wired, my plan is to run it off a small battery in the car. This could tell me if it's an electrical noise issue on the circuit. If that's inconclusive I'm going to burrow a scope from work, otherwise I don't know where to look besides nistune as the root of the issue.

Hope you get it figured out.
          Jason

Comment

It's really bizarre, tomorrow I'm going to swap the EFI relay out of my parts car with the one in the Shiro and see what happens. If that doesn't solve it I think I may pull the fender and see where the EFI relay wires are going, make sure a critter didn't tear them up while I had the engine out. I went from a car that I had no issues driving across the country, which I did a few times, to one I'm scared to leave the yard with lol. I flashed the tune I pulled from it before I sent the ECU to Nistune which is only cold start changes, that made no difference. So then I flashed the original JWT 3BAR tune that Matt pulled from the EEPROM before install the Nistune hardware with no luck. I'm thinking mine has something to do with the EFI relay like G-E said, however Matt has looked at some logs I pulled for him and said that it could potentially be an issue with the firmware so we aren't ruling that out yet. If you find anything Jason let me know, I'll definitely keep you posted on what I find.

Comment

So today I think I fixed it. I changed the EFI relay and that made no difference. I probed everything. The car will either flood or the fuel pump circuit shuts down completely. I isolated it to the ECU. So I pulled the Nistune unit out of the ECU and put in my JWT 3BAR EPROM and the car has been running flawlessly. Just to be certain I'm going to run it a few more days to see. If so it looks like I'll be shipping the unit back to Matt for diagnostics.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                WOW. How likely is this? I have what seems like the same issue I've been trying to figure out on my 87T. JWT 3bar ECU, Nistune, etc. This sounds like we have the same issue.

I would be driving along just fine and suddenly it would die. Trying to restart, it would just chug along running super rich and barely able to stay running. It actually flooded out when I tried to restart it. Pulled the plugs and tried again, still running so rich it was barely firing... eventually I re-flashed the maps from PC to ECU and she started right up like nothing ever happened.
                I had a code for high fuel pump current, so I wired in a bypass off the battery. I had a suspicion that it could be power related so I also wired the EFI relay signal power straight to the battery, so it was 'always on' but current was still being carried by the switching of the relay and associated wiring (hence chopping off half of the potential 'problem' of the circuit if it was dropping power on the switched side).

It did it again.

So the next test is wiring the ECU directly to the battery. If it happens again with the power directly wired, my plan is to run it off a small battery in the car. This could tell me if it's an electrical noise issue on the circuit. If that's inconclusive I'm going to burrow a scope from work, otherwise I don't know where to look besides nistune as the root of the issue.

Hope you get it figured out.
                Jason
                Im having the same problem on my black 86t......its driving me nuts........I just installed a new nistune board in the ecu.....no change
                Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
                http://z31performance.com/showthread...86-Turbo-Coupe
                ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
                http://z31performance.com/showthread...9;s-1986-300zx

Comment

Good luck. I gave up on this issue and went Megasquirt 3. I have nothing nice to say about Nistune lol.

Matt at Nistune claimed it was an ECU issue. I ran the JWT prom in the same exact ECU for over a year with zero hiccups. It only did this BS with the Nistune unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy View Post
                    Im having the same problem on my black 86t......its driving me nuts........I just installed a new nistune board in the ecu.....no change
                    Update........Originally the car ran and drove with the same issue that JASON84na2t was having. I installed a new engine. The car started and ran good, but kept shutting off.......Now the car wont start or run at all so I installed a new cap, rotor, plug wires a coil and Ign Control Module off my running car, new cylinder head temp sensor, new coolant temp sensor and the car still wont run! ... Pulled the nistune ecu and installed it in my stock 86 turbo with the correct image and it runs flawless in that car so the nistune ecu is good.....
                    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by ozzyrulez View Post
                      Good luck. I gave up on this issue and went Megasquirt 3. I have nothing nice to say about Nistune lol.

Matt at Nistune claimed it was an ECU issue. I ran the JWT prom in the same exact ECU for over a year with zero hiccups. It only did this BS with the Nistune unit.
                      On a whim I put the stock 86 turbo ECU in the car and the engine fired right up and ran great..........I realy don't understand it.............Thank you ozzyrulez!

Comment

Working...
                      X