How to install a new power antenna mast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install a new power antenna mast

Tired of seeing your power antenna not work? Don't want to cut and splice your wiring to install an aftermarket one? As long as you still hear the motor operate when you turn your radio on, get a new mast from eBay or wherever and follow these steps. First, open the hatch and remove your rear trim - this would be the tail light panel, the spare tire panel, and the opposite side with the small storage box. Once all 3 are removed you'll be able to access the power antenna unit. Before you undo the two bolts holding it to the body, you'll need a small pair of needle nose pliers that will fit in the grooves of the chrome nut that goes over the antenna mast itself. Put the plier ends in the grooves and slowly turn this nut counter clockwise. Eventually it will come out and attached to it is a metal sleeve that centers the mast in the antenna unit. You should have this when the antenna is removed: IMG_1676.JPG

Take off the metal bracket with an 8mm nut and set the timer unit aside. Next turn the antenna unit over until you see a black cover with a nut in the middle. This is an 7mm nut IIRC. Remove it and slowly pull off the black cover. Nothing will spring out at you, but your cover may be brittle. You should see a part that looks like a black wheel. This is what winds the mast up. it has gear teeth on the inside of it that pull the antenna up & down:

IMG_1677.JPG

Next, pull this wheel off and remove all the broken mast pieces you have. Mine was broken in 3 places.
    IMG_1678.JPG
    image_2836.jpg

Next, clean all the surfaces you can and reapply bearing grease or equivalent lithium grease to the surface under the gear wheel and the inside and outside of the wheel itself. Don't be too liberal with the grease here.

Now, reassemble the black cover and the antenna unit. Install back in the car and plug in the connector. There is also a black Drain Hose that you need to secure back to the bottom of the antenna unit. It is kind of tricky because there are 2 metal tabs that pinch the hose. Take your time to bend them back and clamp down on the hose. We all know Z31's have enough issues with water down in this area...

Now stick your new antenna mast into the antenna hole and turn the radio on. If you don't have a helper here get something long that can push the volume button (i used a piece of quarter round). As you turn the radio off, it will grab the mast and pull it down. The mast teeth only go in 1 way. Once the mast catches it will not pull in all the way. This is normal. Reinstall the chrome nut/aligning sleeve combo and then turn the radio on & off a couple more times.

The mast should now pull down all the way. Congrats, you just added a little resale value!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Reds89; 09-19-2017, 09:24 PM. Reason: Uploaded pictures to the Z31performance.com server

I need to repair mine. If I get lost or frustrated does someone does this service for a fee?

Al
    1986 Turbo GL
    1967 Alfa Romeo Duetto

Comment

Nice write-up Reds89. Just did mine and can say that for the price, it's definitely worth doing. I'm not sure if it was the replacement antenna I bought or not but mine makes a clicking noise, bordering on a "knocking" sound, when it fully retracts. Got mine off eBay for $25 and it specified it was for my year. After talking to some guys at ZAttack though it appears some do it and some don't.

Just something to think about for those planning to do this. Mine makes noises but still operates perfectly at full and half mast.
      私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
      ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Raven,

Mine is doing the same thing yours is, usually 2 knocks when it fully retracts. I thought it was doomed to fail soon, but it's still working for me. I wish I had the switch to only bring the antenna up half mast, as the radio reception for me is really good in the Nashville area. Time to hit up Great Escape and the Goodwill's and find more cassettes.

Comment

I'm also getting pretty good reception in and around Nashville. Only time I really have to use full mast is if I'm using my iPod radio station adapter. Just wish my cassette player worked now. It just spits out tapes and won't play them.
          私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
          ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

So I'd just need something like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-ANTENN...=Model%3A300ZX) and replace it inside the motor? Mine clicks and whirs into life when the radio is on but the mast goes no where. Always thought I'd have to replace the entire unit.

1985 300ZX Turbo GLL ^Click for log^

Originally posted by nater86zx
            No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

Comment

That's basically it Turblown. Disassemble, clean and grease the motor as Reds89 mentioned and then install the antenna mast with the motor re-installed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370574225647...84.m1439.l2649

That's the one I used as, unlike the one you posted, the tip of the antenna is conical rather than cylindrical. I would think that the longer cylinder shape would not sit flush but it may. I know mine sits flush like the stock antenna.
              私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
              ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Working...
              X