Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What harmonic balancers are available for the VG33?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What harmonic balancers are available for the VG33?

It looks like I should have swapped to the damned VG30 crank. My Frontier harmonic balancer is about 5mm too big for my S30. Looking at RockAuto, I don't see much difference between models. They each have a 3 belt pulley (Quest, Xterra, Frontier, Pathfinder). However, on eBay I see a Frontier pulley that's way different, and that might work if I could turn the first pulley off:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-3L-Nissan-...fab256&vxp=mtr

Are there any aftermarket "underdrive" balancers for the Frontier/Pathfinder? I can't find any. Lame. Other option is raising the engine a bit by modifying my mounts, which would offset my perfect driveshaft angle by a couple degrees or so.
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Alternatively, who makes serpentine belt pulleys?
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

One of my beefs with the unorthodox pulleys, I've never seen one with serpentine ribbed belts, just v-belt... which part is hitting what exactly?

Comment

The diameter of the first two belt pulleys is hitting my steering rack. The diameter is just too large.

BLOZ UP.com

Comment

What if you lathed off the lips between the belt sections? That might yield you a few mm?

Also What about removing the rack bushings, mounting it solid as low as you can?

Comment

I believe eBay Z32 pulley's fit with a 11mm(?) spacer.

Comment

I got the ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Blown-N-Boosted
                I got the ribbed for her pleasure.
                Is that a Z32 pulley? That looks real promising. Can you measure the OD of each pulley section?
                BLOZ UP.com

Comment

Stock Z32 pulley diameter is the same as the Z31 VG (outside diameters), but the crank snout is larger. As mentioned prior, you just need a small spacer.
                  - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

Originally posted by michaelp
                    Stock Z32 pulley diameter is the same as the Z31 VG (outside diameters), but the crank snout is larger. As mentioned prior, you just need a small spacer.
                    So, the ID of the balancer, where it fits on the crank snout, that's the same? I just need a 11mm thick disc behind the balancer? Or I need a cylindrical spacer? (seems unlikely, but just checking).

This is great news. I may have lucked out again.
                    BLOZ UP.com

Comment

Originally posted by BLOZ UP
                      So, the ID of the balancer, where it fits on the crank snout, that's the same? I just need a 11mm thick disc behind the balancer? Or I need a cylindrical spacer? (seems unlikely, but just checking).

This is great news. I may have lucked out again.
                      I've never actually run a Z32 balancer. I slipped one on once, then pulled it off. From what I understood though, you just need a spacer so the bolt tightens down, in front of the pulley, otherwise the bolt doesn't reach the balancer. Thats how it appeared when I slipped one on anyways. This route also allows appears as if it'd allow the use of Z31 accessories without issue.
                      - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

I think it's mentioned in the VG33 thread that used to be stickied in this section.
                        Prius... because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Comment

I run a 2004 frontier VG33 in my z31. I have the VG33 crank and everything in use.
                          No issues with Alternator, WaterPump, or Power Steering.
                          The only thing I had to do is bring my A/C forward about 1.25" then it lined up perfectly.

Comment

Here's a better shot of my problem:

It looks like I'm going to be switching back to the 3.0L water pump though, so the belts work with my alternator. Also, The driver side mount might need some modification to fit my remote oil filter lines.
                            BLOZ UP.com

Comment

Measure the TT's pulley as well as I could while it was on the car. Looks legit. Ordered a relatively cheap OE pulley. Will see.
                              BLOZ UP.com

Comment

Working...
                              X