Diy rit fabric dye on carpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diy rit fabric dye on carpet

FOUND THIS BEING DONE THE RIGHT WAY TO DYE THERE CARPETS.
    FOR ANYONE THAT'S INTERESTED CLICK THE LINK

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...Carpets-Black-!!

I tried that, I was going to re-color my original OEM carpets. But the carpet absorbed so much I would have needed gallons of the expensive dye. You have to get the whole carpet to be dripping wet, all the way through. Easier to just get a replacement carpet. If I am going to spend the time to remove the entire 30 year old carpet, I am not going to put in a 30 year old carpet again.
    Restore it, Don't crush it. They don't make them like this anymore.

Scott
    85 Turbo, original owner, restored
    93 NA Babied

Comment

Waste of time and energy for cheap ass Z31 owners. Every time it get wet, it's going to bleed. Replacement carpet is not that expensive, Do it right.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
      1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
      1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Comment

that's up to you and the condition of the carpet. also the dye is cheap 2bucks or so at walmart.

why will it bleed?? did you even read the post? you have to rinse the carpet until the water runs clear.

Comment

spray stuff will fade and make the carpet hard and will cost more then the dye

Comment

Carpet spray paint won't get all the way down to the nape of the carpet. It will stay on the upper fibers only. I sprayed my mats and once you press down on the carpet fibers, you can see the other color underneath. Unless the replacement carpets are NLA or cost $1000, I would just replace them. Smells nicer too.

Scott
            93 NA Babied

Comment

http://www.stockinteriors.com/items....n_300ZX_Carpet

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

That guy on the Supra forum said the carpets are expensive. Stock interiors has them for the Supra for $185. He said $300 aftermarket, almost $800 OEM. Didn't look very hard. For the amount of time he spent, the cost of the dye, and the risk it would come out crappy, why not get a new set of good smelling carpets with the proper color heel pads and be done with it for only $185? I predict he will keep the heel pads covered with a set of mats to hid the fact they will most likely keep showing the tan underneath. I can see using this if you wanted to dye the lower door panels of the Z31, but if you can't afford $185 for new carpets, you really don't have the money to own a Supra for very long.

Scott
                93 NA Babied

Comment

why do you keep saying $2 a bottle of rit dye is alot of money?? aftermarket carpets are crap which is why oem is better and cost alot more. heel pad can be sprayed with vinyl paint from sem. thats also if you choose to change the color of your carpet. theres many colors to choose from. also its not alot of work to take out the carpet.

Comment

Not all aftermarket carpets are crap. I think it pretty clear what most of us in this thread think about your cheap halfassed carpet dye idea. I would never spray paint my heel guards. This is just another indicator of your low quality standards for your car.

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

$3.00 per bottle times 7 bottles, and $2.40 per pack of the powder times 9 packs is close to $50 with the salt. It would take a good day to remove the parts of the interior and carpet and reinstall it when done.

The after market carpet I got from MSA is good quality except I wish the back hatch carpet was slightly bigger. Of course, I removed from the OEM original the plastic clips and padding and used that with the new aftermarket one. You can't tell if it is OEM or aftermarket. Vinyl paint won't stick well enough for you to rub your feet on the heel pads. It will scrape off as the pads wear.

Let me put it this way, would you rattle can your car for $50 or get it done right for $200? Do you buy old take off tires or buy new ones. I'm one to not waste money, but I am not cheap enough to dye 30 years old carpet unless there are no other options.

Scott
                      93 NA Babied

Comment

cheap?? its pretty much you that keeps ranting on here. but yet you took the time to wash your old faded/stained blue carpet which still looks bad. talk about low standards.lol

anyhow there's nothing wrong with cleaning and dying your old carpet if its still in good shape as shown in the link.

fyi: you would only have to spray the heel part if you choose to change the color of the carpet as stated above. take the time to read the ad.

also if not interested then why reply with faults facts. also stock interiors is crap! you should google and see reviews 1st with the problems as most aftermarket carpets have.

lastly this is a diy to save members some money. just trying to help out others . im not here to argue about nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingT
                          $3.00 per bottle times 7 bottles, and $2.40 per pack of the powder times 9 packs is close to $50 with the salt. It would take a good day to remove the parts of the interior and carpet and reinstall it when done.

The after market carpet I got from MSA is good quality except I wish the back hatch carpet was slightly bigger. Of course, I removed from the OEM original the plastic clips and padding and used that with the new aftermarket one. You can't tell if it is OEM or aftermarket. Vinyl paint won't stick well enough for you to rub your feet on the heel pads. It will scrape off as the pads wear.

Let me put it this way, would you rattle can your car for $50 or get it done right for $200? Do you buy old take off tires or buy new ones. I'm one to not waste money, but I am not cheap enough to dye 30 years old carpet unless there are no other options.

it all depends if you are changing the color. all carpets are dyed. does not take a whole day to take out carpets. i do it to all my projects for a full cleaning.
                          all im saying as shown in the link this diy will same some members that still have good carpets but faded some money.

search the net and see how many car forums knows about this

Comment

I read the reviews about RIT dyes and some are really bad reviews. It may have been those not following instructions, but it seemed those that doubled the amount of dye got bad results where it did not stick. Some did shirts dyed black and after 1 wash they turned gray, after 3 washes they turned purple gray.

I did not say it took a day to get the carpets out. I said it took a day to take it out and put it back in. And more hours to dye it. You have to remove the seats, console, side trim, etc.

As I said above, if there is no other choice, then yes dye the carpets. But the carpets I got from MSA for under $200 look and fit as good as the originals. And if I am going to take the time to remove everything, I want it to be the last time I have to do it. I would much rather pay the extra $150 and get new and be done with it for 30 more years. Who knows, the dyed 30 year old carpets might wear out 10 years from now and there may be no more aftermarket ones left. Then you are screwed.

Scott
                            93 NA Babied

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingT
                              ...they turned purple gray.
                              Hey, just like the black speaker covers and cargo shelf!
                              Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
                              Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

Comment

Working...
                              X