Distributor is making a weird noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributor is making a weird noise

So i went to change the gasket on the distributor because the old one was leaking oil. i put a new one on and then it starts making this inconsistent ticking noise, the gasket came from nissan, its a brand new cap and rotor, theres nothing in there, i even pulled the valve cover off, looked and poked around with a magnet for a couple hours, even drained the oil and poured it down there a couple times to maybe knock it loose if there was something. the teeth on it are all good and theres no weird wear along the inside. heres a video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6p5...j1UYly9N5lnjLQ

sounds mechanical as opposed to an arc. loose rotor? I am guessing you checked inside the cap for interference. Good luck and let us know when you get it sorted out.

Comment

I've had a couple distributors start making this noise. I had to replace them to make it go away.

Comment

I'd pull the dist out and rotate the shaft, make sure the bearings aren't eating themselves...
        Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
        Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Axel kain
          I'd pull the dist out and rotate the shaft, make sure the bearings aren't eating themselves...
          I can try it again, but i didn't notice that when i had it out and checked.

Originally posted by Blown-N-Boosted
          I've had a couple distributors start making this noise. I had to replace them to make it go away.
          Did you find out why it made that noise? And i guess ill have to change the distributor.

Originally posted by zdadgeezer
          sounds mechanical as opposed to an arc. loose rotor? I am guessing you checked inside the cap for interference. Good luck and let us know when you get it sorted out.
          Thats what I'm thinking but i can't figure out why it happened after i changed the gasket.

Comment

Blown-N-Boosted did you ever drive it like that? is it bad to drive it like that? Ive had it parked for weeks and i want to drive it.

Comment

Just curious - when you pulled it did you put the rotor and cap on and spin the shaft? Just wondering if you have isolated the sound to the dizzy itself or not. Sounds like the rotor hitting the contacts, like it isn't all the way down.
              '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Got-mine-back

Comment

My first Z I bought back in 98-99 made this noise when I went to look at it. I assumed it was a timing chain noise and talked the PO down on the price. Once I got it home I noticed it was a belt and I knew it was going to be the head or distributor. At that point I was limited on cash after buying the car and doing the the maintenance so I had no choice but to drive it. I drove it for 2-3 years everyday until I just got tired of hearing it. Found a Z in the junkyard and snatched a dizzy. I swapped them out and noise was gone. I never could figure out exactly where the noise was coming from. I'd say you are safe to drive it. I put at least 20k miles on it and it ran like a top till I changed it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Blown-N-Boosted
                  My first Z I bought back in 98-99 made this noise when I went to look at it. I assumed it was a timing chain noise and talked the PO down on the price. Once I got it home I noticed it was a belt and I knew it was going to be the head or distributor. At that point I was limited on cash after buying the car and doing the the maintenance so I had no choice but to drive it. I drove it for 2-3 years everyday until I just got tired of hearing it. Found a Z in the junkyard and snatched a dizzy. I swapped them out and noise was gone. I never could figure out exactly where the noise was coming from. I'd say you are safe to drive it. I put at least 20k miles on it and it ran like a top till I changed it out.
                  Well i had a buddy of mine let me try his dizzy and the noise didn't go away. Now I'm thinking theres something in the head somehow.

Originally posted by wbnethery3
                  Just curious - when you pulled it did you put the rotor and cap on and spin the shaft? Just wondering if you have isolated the sound to the dizzy itself or not. Sounds like the rotor hitting the contacts, like it isn't all the way down.
                  It's not because i tried exactly what you said and that wasn't it.

Comment

Does the rotor wobble left to right? you can try with your fingers with the engine off and the cap removed...

Comment

Originally posted by G-E
                      Does the rotor wobble left to right? you can try with your fingers with the engine off and the cap removed...
                      not really wobble but it will turn a little left and right if i try to turn it.

Comment

One of my buddies brought this up and he made a good point saying that it could be the tensioner. What do you guys think? The sound is pretty similar to a failing tensioner, the noise is louder when the timing cover is removed and it hasn't blown up due to a bad valve or something.

Comment

Just curious if you've solved this problem...
                          '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Got-mine-back

Comment

No not yet, i had it running and then i shut the hood and the car shut off and it didn't start. I tried to turn it back over and it wouldn't go, I'm gonna try to turn it over tomorrow after i get the battery recharged since its been sitting for a while.

Comment

If anyone has any ideas as to why, please let me know. Im close to that giving up point on my z.

Comment

Working...
                              X