Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable 13" Brembo BBK (Big Brake Kit) - ***Zenki and Kouki Hubs***

Hey all

I am bringing you all an affordable answer to a PERFECT z31 Big Brake Kit.
    This will fit all hubs for the z31 including the non-turbo and turbo hubs from both Zenki and Kouki models!!
    Also, these Brembo Calipers require the use of a banjo bolt type brake line setup.... so in other words, you can use the stock/factory z31 lines! I personally have SS z31 lines.

Here is what you need:

1 - EVO 8/9 or WRX STI (compatible years) Brembo Calipers

2 - S13 (or similar) to EVO Brembo Bracket
    http://madparts.net/evo-brembo-caliper-brackets.html
    If you order from madparts.net, note that Alex sent you there!

3 - 1994-2004 Ford Mustang Cobra 13" Rotors (I chose 2002 to be safe)

Here are the modification notes

1 - You will need to grind a bit of the aluminum webbing on the back of caliper to clear the bracket

2 - Depending on how much you grind on the back of the caliper, you may need to grind some off the brackets.

3 - You will need to flip the EVO Brembo bracket upside down (to raise the caliper a bit higher)

4 - With Kouki Turbo hubs, no spacing or shimming is required. But with Zenki hubs, you may need to space or shim the calipers. You will need longer studs when using the Zenki/non-turbo hubs.
    Also, beware that if you run the Zenki hubs, the rotor and caliper will be approx. 14mm out further.

5 - Also I should add that the from the top hat of the rotor to the face of the caliper, it is 1.5". You may need a wheel spacer to accommodate this larger caliper.
    I have always ran 25mm (1") wheel spacers, so for me, this isn't an issue.

Thats it.

I paid $150 for the EVO Brembo's
    $100 for the brackets
    $200 for the rotors from R1 Concepts
    $80 for performance pads

Total - $530

This kit is an awesome option if you are able to be froogle and find the EVO Brembo's for an excellent price and what not.
    Please note, that this kit is more of the massaging type to where you are to grind stuff and most likely need wheel spacers to accommodate the calipers.
    Also, the BMC will most likely need to be upgraded. The EVO 8/9 uses a 17/16" BMC. You can match those same specifications by installing the z32 17/16".

Comment

That is awesome. This setup is officially on my to-do list for my Shiro!
      sigpic
      1984 300zx Turbo (Daily Driver Project)
      Shiro #341 (Summer Project)
      1985 300zx N/A (SOLD 6/13/13)

Comment

Good job doing all the leg work! This is awesome.
        87 Turbo - http://z31performance.com/showthread...-turbo-rebuild
        88SS - #767
        88SS - #824

Comment

Awesome! I was just about to buy Kouki turbo bubs for my 86T next month, but with this I'll just hold off.

Comment

Holy crap. Amazing leg work Alex! Thanks so much. Certainly bookmarking this for the long-term future upgrades list!

1985 300ZX Turbo GLL ^Click for log^

Originally posted by nater86zx
            No such thing as hoarding Z parts. When it comes to z parts, its not hoarding its preparedness!

Comment

Heart you.
              Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Comment

This changes everything!

Alex coming through in the clutch like always haha

2001 Mazda Miata LS
                also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

Comment

Awesome legwork, Alex. If you're going to sticky this you might want to make it clear that this is only for 5-lug hubs and save people a bit of searching. Pretty sure that Mustangs have been all 5-lug since the foxbodies...

(admittedly this is pretty much a technicality since if you're still running 4-bolt hubs you probably a) don't have wheels this setup will fit in, and b) don't have enough rubber on those wheels to make a BBK do anything significantly better than stock.)

Comment

That MadParts website also appears to sell a revised version of the bracket that doesn't require you to take a grinder to the caliper, if you don't mind spending a little more money.
                    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
                    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

Comment

A couple of items, questions and comments.

1) First regarding the bracket and grinding of the caliper - there have been a ton of refinements with this setup in the s-chassis development. I believe if you got a better bracket this would limit or eliminate the need to grind out the calipers for clearance.

2) Zenki or Kouki hubs - I think this is largely the assumption made because the mustang 13" rotors have a larger hat diameter that will fit over the hubs? As with many people trying to adapt BBKs to zenki hubs there has been a lot of finagling and much refinement needed. You also mention the hub to spindle difference between the two. In theory this should work, but in practice I have not seen it cleanly done. You put a good disclaimer, but I dont think it will be as easy as its made out to be.

3) Brake Master Cylinder - You addressed it with the 17/16" z32 to accommodate front and rear. I will be interested in hearing about the pedal feel once you have it all ironed out.

Good write up Alex! I think it would well suited you add the post to the brake upgrade thread in the "Suspension/Brake" section of the forum. Good repository and a lot of research in that thread.
                      86na - BlueZ
                      Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                      85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

3 - You will need to flip the EVO Brembo bracket upside down (to raise the caliper a bit higher)

Those revisions will not make a difference for my write-up.

You are flipping the bracket to raise the caliper.

Comment

Alex,

You are correct, I was still assuming evo 350mm (13.78") rotors in which you do not need to raise the bracket. Your application adapted to use 13" rotors.

**edit for rotor size 13" not 14"**
                          86na - BlueZ
                          Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                          85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

Originally posted by adamvann3 View Post
                            Alex,

You are correct, I was still assuming evo 350mm (13.78") rotors in which you do not need to raise the bracket. Your application adapted to use 14" rotors.
                            Haha, I think you are confused....

EVO 8/9 on their Brembo setups use a 12.5" rotor
                            EVO 10s on their Brembo setups use a 13.8" rotor

I am using a Cobra Mustang rotor which is a 13" rotor.

Comment

Where did you find the Brembos for $150!?
                              sigpic
                              1984 300zx Turbo (Daily Driver Project)
                              Shiro #341 (Summer Project)
                              1985 300zx N/A (SOLD 6/13/13)

Comment

Working...
                              X