Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto oil cooler swap question

Wsup y'all, so basically,

I'm swapping out my blown turbo motor out of my 86t with a NA motor from my 86 parts car. I ran into a problem with my oil filter housing. When taking out the oil filter from the NA block, the oil filter threading is in the way of the auto oil filter oil cooler housing? Is there a tool to getting this out? I tried checking Autozone and or Oreilly's to see if they had a tool, but don't? What I was told is I would probably have to take this to a machinist to get out? If anyone can help me out, that would be appreciated!

I pulled one out last week using a pipe wrench. Came right out.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Yep it's just a hollow stud type of thing. You can either hit it with a pipe wrench like above or remove it with the double nut method. IIRC the part of the stud that's sticking out is an imperial thread and the part that's threaded into the block is a metric thread. It is the same as the auto stud with the oil cooler so you can use that to figure out threads if you choose to go that way.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
      1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

Originally posted by DeleriousZ View Post
        Yep it's just a hollow stud type of thing. You can either hit it with a pipe wrench like above or remove it with the double nut method. IIRC the part of the stud that's sticking out is an imperial thread and the part that's threaded into the block is a metric thread. It is the same as the auto stud with the oil cooler so you can use that to figure out threads if you choose to go that way.
        Hit it right out? Or do you mean twisting it with a pipe wrench to loosen it out? I was thinking a pipe wrench would work if i just loosened it out, but i just didnt want to strip the threads if it wasnt able to pop out.

Comment

haha sorry, 'hit it' as in use a pipe wrench to turn it out.

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
          1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

the oil cooler should have an extended one with it.
            Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
            Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
            sigpic

Comment

^this

Once you get the NA stud out the oil fitting block has the stud you thread in with it.

I had good luck with a shop towel and pipe wrench in order to keep the threads from getting muffed up.

2001 Mazda Miata LS
              also a 1989 Nissan 240SX

50th AE Build Thread SOLD 2015

Comment

Thanks y'all, it came right out with a pipe wrench.

Comment

nice to know about thanks ...

Comment

Working...
                  X