Wheel Bearings Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearings Bad?

I had the front wheel bearings replaced in August of 2013. Since then, two different shops are saying there's play in them, and that they
    should be replaced; but when I bring it back to the shop that originally did them they said that they're fine. The car drives smooth and the bearings don't make any noise. Is it something I should worry about? Any thoughts?
    Proud Owner of an 86' 2+2

XXR 526 17x9 Wheels

Grab the front wheel/tire and shake it hard (with the car on the ground). Do you hear a clicking sound coming from the wheel bearing and/or feel wobble in the wheel? This is typical tech procedure at autox.

You can also try it with the front jacked up off the ground / on stands (don't shake it as hard).
    Justin
    1986 NA 2-seater
    SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
    Race Videos
    Build Thread

Comment

I don't feel any wobble, I hear a faint click but it doesn't sound like its coming from the bearing.

So if it wobbles in the air but not on the ground its fine?

XXR 526 17x9 Wheels

Comment

Hm it shouldn't wobble in either case, though the wobble from a bad wheel bearing is different from suspension parts wobbling (normal). A wobble from the wheel bearing being bad kind of feels like your lugnuts are loose.

The click could also be from suspension noise. It's probably fine... it is possible that the wheel bearing has worn a bit and is fitting a little bit looser than what it was like when new. You could snug up the nut holding it just a 1/8 of a turn or something... hard to say, I usually just tighten it by "feel".

Anyway, if it's not super obvious that something is clicking or moving around when you shake it, and you don't hear weird noises or groaning then it is most likely fine and the other two shops are trying to spaceshuttle you.
        Justin
        1986 NA 2-seater
        SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
        Race Videos
        Build Thread

Comment

Yea tapered roller bearings are fairly tolerant of wear because they can just be tightened, but bearings can make crackling or scraping noises without being loose too...

The outer bearing is almost always the one that goes bad, and it's the easiest to replace, they are $10-15 on rockauto -- grab the fsm and do it yourself

Comment

Thanks for the advice I'm sure they're probably fine, I just wanted to be sure and get a second opinion. I'll have a look at that FSM and probly pick up a haynes manual.

XXR 526 17x9 Wheels

Comment

Its worth mentioning a lot of people just put them in without setting the rollers and preload properly.

You Have to do it per the FSM or it won't last very long.
              85 Turbo Slick Top
              __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

don't follow what these shet post say.

jack your front end up.

put a pry-bar under your tire about 3/4 of the shaft.

torsion that bitch up and down like it owes you money.

Does it click? sway, or flutter?

Comment

The style of bearings used on our cars can be adjusted. If yours have any play the nut can be snugged down a hair to correct it.
                  5.3 LSx Z31

Comment

Working...
                  X