Coolant boiling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coolant boiling

After driving it normal the coolant starts boiling and it comes out the cap area and shoots down to nothing but ground. Just bought the car so idk if it's something else or if it's the reason that the lid has a little bit of tubing that goes nowhere besides out... Any help or tips before I start spilling money into it works. Thanks in advance also it's a 1985 NA 5 speed

That tubing is supposed to go to an overflow bottle that holds the expanding coolant
    when the engine is hot, then allows it to be drawn back in when as the engine cools.

If it's spilling from the hose, that's normal. Does the engine temp gauge work?

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

1. Check coolant color (should be green)
      2. Is there play in the water pump pulley
      3. Are both radiator hoses hot (top will be hotter than the lower but will still be warm)
      4. Does the fan have tension when turning by hand
      How long does it take to overheat right away or does it come up to temp then over heat after awhile

Comment

Coloant is green. All pulleys are tight. I let engine cool down so can't tell if either hose is warm. Fans are e-fan and when turned on by switch it pushes out cold air and they are on with five minutes of a cold start. It gradually goes up in over heating maybe 30 minutes or so.

Comment

check your pressure cap, sounds like it isnt holding pressure properly.
          Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
          Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
          sigpic

Comment

Checked it this morning and I had to refill with coolant, and the pressure cap when opened was smoking.

Comment

Im leaning towards thermostat dont forget to check hoses

Comment

Working...
              X