Any Good High HP Builds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Good High HP Builds?

Hello, i recently got a vg30et engine where im going to swap into my 86na, im not too sure whats the most power i can get outta these engines, was just wondering if theres any good threads out there of some high hp builds. Looking to find out what can i do to make the engine hold more power (internals, ceramic coating, etc.), what brand internals are better, if theres better heads or intake manifolds around, any help is great

I would like to say welcome to the forum. Your performance goals depend on your skill set, your abilities , how much money you are willing to spend and what you plan to do with your car. But it seem to me that you may need to do a little on your own first. The majority of the information you desire is within this forum. There are some amazing people within this forum that will help you with ANYTHING you ask. There are Z's and VG powered cars ranging from 150hp-over 800hp. When I were in your shoes I googled redz31
    shotyme

Comment

I'm building for close to or over 600-700 (technically the build is done just need to put it on the dyno).
      You can spend money on good parts or go cheap and see how far you can take it.

Recommendations would include
      Over 300-350 hp - build bottom end with arp
      hammerhead oil pan if you plan on doing any road racing or drifting with trap doors
      turbo, fuel and intake are the last things...plenty of info around here on what you can do with that.
      keep it simple and get it done. no reason to go crazy on these motors as they are super reliable, but like other engines get very iffy when trying to make bigger power.
      Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

First start with the basics as mentioned. What are your build goals, budget, skill set, time frame. These are the fundamentals before diving head first into a build. I was in your shoes years ago now im nearing the end of my 500-600 hp full car build and i'm way past what I thought I was going to do to the car back then. Learning lessons all along. Speed costs money but if you're thrifty and have enough skills you can turn a Z into a fast car without going overboard. Best piece of advice RESEARCH. This forum has a lot of smart people on it with tons of knowledge. If you can't find what you're looking for here or the internet for that matter, you're asking the wrong questions. Take the initaitive and do the research yourself before asking for answers. Some on here won't take to kind to that. Good luck and welcome to 80s life!
        You can polish a turd....but in the end, it's still a piece of shit

Comment

You don't need a built bottom end for 300-350hp. That is a waste of money honestly. The stock bottom end will do 400 with little issue.
          2007 Nissan 350Z Base: 13.476 @ 103.870 MPH

1988 Nissan 300ZX Shiro Special New Setup 11.979@117.34 MPH

Comment

+1 to what ozzyrulez said. I have been right at 400 for years (since around 2007) and run the dog sh1t out of my car, if it blew up tomorrow, I wouldn't be disappointed. I know it sounds cliché, but it is all in the "tuning" of the car....
            1986 Nissan 300ZX 300zx z31 turbo: 0.000 @ 0.000 MPH

http://www.youtube.com/user/thflash2007

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CWF-Dy...37431403027542

Comment

Originally posted by ozzyrulez View Post
              You don't need a built bottom end for 300-350hp. That is a waste of money honestly. The stock bottom end will do 400 with little issue.
              He just said rebuilt with ARP. I assume he just means to replace the stock rod bolts with ARP fasteners.
              Prius... because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Comment

thank you guys. i want to push for minimum 500hp, ive already been searching around and doing my own research. so far ive gotten a turbo engine off an 84ae(i have an 86na), and am currently working on collecting all the parts for the s13 subframe swap.
                i plan to do to the engine
                -use vg33 heads (with head work... porting, polishing, etc., havnt done enough research to know what would be best to do to it)
                -z32 crank
                -custom built intake manifold
                -custom built exhaust manifold
                -bigger turbo(gt35 or something around there, not sure whats best yet)
                -mls gaskets
                -arp studs for heads & rods
                -4.5 exhaust

anything else you guys think i should add? im in no sort of hurry for this build, plan to spend good money on my parts(not spending more than 2k on just one part tho :'D )

Comment

Why not just use a complete VG33 instead of just the heads? Also, good luck routing a 4.5" exhaust, that should be interesting.
                  Prius... because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Comment

I have a forged twin turbo crank with the snout machined down to the diameter of the VG33E snout, with a custom cromoly flywheel from Southbend made to work with Z31 transmissions. It's for sale...
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

satan
                      Is that an aftermarket crank that you had reworked? what do you think the horsepower rating of that z32 crankshaft is? how much are you asking? I have had my vg33 bottom end balanced all ready. Would be nice on the parts shelve
                      shotyme

Comment

I think I would freshn up the bottom end, rebuild the heads, new head gaskets-OEM or Victor Reinz, gutted plenum, fuel up grade, Nistune or Mega Skirt, South Bend clutch
                        shotyme

Comment

Originally posted by darryl rice View Post
                          satan
                          Is that an aftermarket crank that you had reworked? what do you think the horsepower rating of that z32 crankshaft is? how much are you asking? I have had my vg33 bottom end balanced all ready. Would be nice on the parts shelve
                          Factory TT crank, machined to work in a VG30E or VG33E. Factory TT cranks have held over 900whp before. I'm sure some have held more than that.
                          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I may as well jump in here and comment that first of all we are talking about two valves per cylinder which identifies the need to get these engines breathing as a priority, they are not a good four valver where add on's like cams, valves and turbo will give big power. So the heads need EXPERT attention as does the ENTIRE intake system if REAL big power is the goal. That's enough from me, those that understand will, those who don't won't.

Comment

Working...
                            X