Whining and burnt rubber smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whining and burnt rubber smell

Noticed it after dropping my fiance off at work. Noticed the burning rubber smell first. Then noticed that it was whining (maybe whistling would be a better description?) while I was accelerating. Didn't notice any sound at 45 mph. Rubber smell was sporadic, it had gone away until I was slowing down to pull in the driveway.

Once I got home I popped the hood and hit the throttle to see if I could notice the sound again. Smell had come back already. No sound at idle only under load. It appears to be coming from the front of the motor. Can't tell if its the adjustable pulley (had a similar sound on my Frontier when the pulley went bad, but no rubber smell) or worse yet, timing belt. All the main belts appear to be fine.

Car has 130,000 miles on it. Found some papers in the car when I got it that indicated that the timing belt had been changed at around 100,000 miles. Had the cover off maybe 5,000 miles ago and everything looked fine. Timing belt looked brand new.

So, all that said. Is this a pretty clear indicator that My timing belt is on its last leg? We are down to just my car right now and we are supposed to be going out of town on Thursday. Any help is majorly appreciated. I can't have the Z go down on us.
    私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
    ・1984 300zx N/A

Could be a pully bearing is going bad and causing friction against a belt.

Likely suspects:

Alternator
    water pump
    AC compressor
    idler

I'd pop the upper fan shroud off and get in there to remove the belts and see if any
    of the above have any difficulty being turned by hand. Hopefully it's not the timing belt tensioner..ugh

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Did the paperwork say the tensioner was changed along with the timing belt?
      Prius... because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Comment

Thanks for the fast response guys.

Z_Karma: Thanks, I'll get those checked out.

jaqattack02: I don't believe it did. Pretty sure there was mention of new valves, water pump and timing belt but that was about it.

If I had to replace the tensioner and timing belt (and it's not one of the parts Z_Karma mentioned) I'm going to have to use parts from the parts store. I hate to do that and I'll most likely end up re-doing it with Nissan parts later but I'm in a bit of a time crunch and don't have the time to get parts ordered from Nissan.

On that note, Advance Auto has Beck/Arnley and Dayco parts. Which of those two would be better?
        私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
        ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

I'd go with Gates for the belt, GMB for the tensioner.

Gates and GMB are OEM suppliers.
          Both are available at NAPA.
          NBH 250104 - Belt
          ATM 60064 - Tensioner
          NAPA belts are made by Gates.

Comment

Thanks for the parts numbers. Would the Gates tensioner work ok? Found that O'Reilly carries a Gates kit that comes with the belt and tensioner for $54. I would go with GMB but none of the parts stores around here stock them. Closest Napa is a 30 minute drive.
            私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
            ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

PN: TCK104
              I'm sure it would, at least it says that the tensioner is most likely OE.

Comment

Bit of an update. Took a short break to clean up some parts and sit in front of the AC for a bit. I did a bit more listening to the noise before tearing into everything. As best as I can pin it down it seems to be coming from the center, front of the engine. Kind of sounded like it was under/behind the timing cover.

AC compressor spins by hand (has very light resistance). Compressor clutch spins by hand as well (considerable resistance).
                AC belt tensioner spins by hand (what I would consider to be normal resistance)
                Upper timing cover is off.

After cleaning up the upper timing cover I did find some marks on the upper inside that would be consistent with belts rubbing against it. As they were hidden under grime I believe they are from when the belt snapped before I bought it. Reason I say that, is the papers I mentioned earlier mentioned valves being done.

There is also a Gates belt installed. The belt shows no indication of damage that I can see. I'm having a bit of trouble with the tensioner for the PS pump but once I have all of that off, and I can verify that the other items Z_Karma mentioned are spinning properly, I'll report back.
                私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
                ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Sounds like a girlfriend issue to me. but could be a T belt that is too tight

Comment

Originally posted by visco1 View Post
                    could be a T belt that is too tight
                    What would cause it to be tight now all of a sudden. It's been fine the whole time I've owned it. Checked the tension on the timing belt and it seems to have the proper deflection.

PS pump spins freely
                    Alternator spins freely (as much as an alternator should anyway)
                    Water pump...may have found a culprit. It will spin freely (if I spin it and let go of it) maybe 4 or 5 turns then slows down to a stop within half a turn and has a sort of light, grinding noise when it stops. Doesn't do it but maybe 3 out of 5 times I spin it.

Does this sound normal or should I dig deeper and try to get that lower timing cover off and look at the tensioner. Like I said. Tension on the timing belt seems to be right and the belt shows no indication that it's damaged. I guess that cover will have to come off anyway to get the water pump off though.
                    私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
                    ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Also forgot to mention that the water pump seems to have a very, very small amount of play that seems to be coming from inside the water pump. Pulley doesn't move at all but I can still feel the play if I try to move it around.

With all that I believe it has to be the water pump.
                      私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
                      ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Go oem on the pump for sure.
                        http://z31performance.com/showthread...2-2-(-now-NA2T
                        My build thread (:

Comment

Originally posted by les_joey_paul View Post
                          Go oem on the pump for sure.
                          Would love too. I only like using oem on my Nissans. Time however, is not on my side here. I have to have this thing going by Thursday afternoon.

I pulled the pulley off but I think I screwed it up. I took off the 6 bolts and pulled off the pulley and was left with this...

What am I looking at? Is it a damper? I'm assuming that I should have unbolted the whole assembly and pulled it all but i was in a rush due to it getting dark and no outside light.
                          私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
                          ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Yeah, you need to remove that center bolt in order to remove the entire pulley. Do you have a Haynes manual or FSM? The fsm's are available for free here:
                            http://www.xenonz31.com/reference.html

Comment

Yeah, I have a physical copy of the FSM. Just sort of shooting in the dark on the problem. If it's not the water pump I don't know where to look. I peaked behind the lower timing cover and the timing belt tensioner seems to be fine. I can order one from the parts house first thing in the morning I'm just worried that's not the problem.
                              私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
                              ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Working...
                              X