No clutch after engine install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No clutch after engine install

I had a knock in the bottom end of the original 230,xxx motor of my '87 turbo. I got a vg30 from a maxima, and put all of the Z stuff on it. I got a new pilot bushing. I originally put in a clutch from a previous Z using an '84 flywheel and matching ACT clutch. Got everything hooked up, started right away. Push clutch in, put it in first, let clutch out, car didnt move. Engine didnt bog or anything. Tried reverse and nothing either. I have plenty of fluid, no leaks. I had someone push the clutch pedal and the slave cylinder is pushing the clutch fork.
    I thought that maybe it was something to do with the ACT clutch. I took it out and put the Nissan clutch and '87 flywheel in it that came on the original engine. The same thing is happinging.
    The clutch is good.
    I changed nothing but the engine.

Input shaft not going into the pilot bushing correctly?
    Fork and/or throwout bearing locked up?
    Clutch pedal adjusted wrong?

I am lost. Any suggestions?
    http://www.thegraphicshack.net

It's my experience that if the input shaft is not seated into the pilot bushing, you would be unable to adequately seat the transmission
    to the engine.

I would get it up on stands and remove the shift fork dust boot.
    Then, as someone works the clutch, peek in there with a bright LED flashlight
    and see if the throwout bearing is engaging the tines of the pressure plate.

It's possible that the clutch pedal needs adjustment but it would have a look
    up inside to see if the fork is pivoting correctly.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Does the clutch pedal feel like it has any resistance? Did you forget the throw out bearing? How far is the slave cylinder moving?

Comment

The clutch has resistance, feels like it should work.
        No I didnt forget the throwout bearing.
        The slave cylinder looks like it is moving like it needs to.
        I dont have anyone to push the clutch at this time I can check to see if the throwout bearing is engaging the tines on the pressure plate.

I did crawl under the dash and the clutch pedal is adjusted as far out as possible. Maybe this is not allowing the clutch to engage properly. I can try adjusting it tommorrow.

Thanks for your help..

Comment

Try removing the slave cylinder, put the car in gear and see if you can spin the driveshaft or roll the car. This will eliminate or identify if the hydraulic side is the issue.

Comment

being adjusted out all the way is likely the entire problem. not letting the slave retract enough to allow the clutch to actually engage.
            Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
            Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Axel kain View Post
              being adjusted out all the way is likely the entire problem. not letting the slave retract enough to allow the clutch to actually engage.
              This. Someone posted a writeup on how to properly adjust the pedal a while back, if I happen upon the link I'll post it. It's important to get right because too far one way and you get this issue, too far the other and it will constantly drag.
              Prius... because Pretentious wouldn't fit across the back of the car...

Cheap, Fast, Reliable - pick any two

My 1986 Turbo Build

Comment

Thanks for the help. Adjusted the clutch under the dash.. Was a pain and took a couple of times but it works now..

Comment

Working...
                X