Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has the quality of turbos gone down hill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has the quality of turbos gone down hill?

I kinda lost touch with the whole Z performance scene for a while. My 85 is still patiently waiting.
    Meanwhile, my desire to move the project along is growing again.

At the same time I've been doing (maybe too much) reading up on the different turbo suppliers.
    What concerns me is the quality.

Are the Precision 6262's today as reliable (or better) than they were several years ago?
    Man, I really would hate to plunk down $1000+ for a turbo only to have it fail soon.

What about Garrett?
    Are there others out there?

What turbo would YOU buy today? (Manufacturer, not size or specs)

Most of them are improving, more and more places are using investment casting, 3d printed casting, and the machines for cnc'ing the billet wheels are becoming popular enough that when the chinese copy garret or holset, you almost can't tell the difference

Precision just released their new line of faster spooling turbos to keep up with garrett's gtx lineup, so you really can't go wrong with them...

Comment

If money was not a concern, I would pick between Precision billet ball bearing and Borg Warner EFR turbo's. I have a Garrett 45R now, and while it is a great turbo, it's just not as good as the newer stuff.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I would go with a new precision BB billet gen2 turbo. But that's what I already have. Apples to apples, nothing else matches the precision in spool up, total flow and price. I run a precision gen 2 PT6266 BB stainless v band .82 ar turbine.
        Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
        Originally posted by BoostedMamma
        Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

Working...
        X