Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I swear is possesed! No start 84 AE follow on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I swear is possesed! No start 84 AE follow on...

Ok, so yesterday the AE started. I started it a few times, ran it around the block, etc. Notice digi dash was off, but been there before.

On running, the only thing I noticed was that on acceleration it bogs down if I push the pedal too fast. But if I slowly accelerate it picks up speed normal. This is right about the moment when I expect to notice the turbo. So, then, this am...

Digi dash still off. I have a spare power unit. I remove mine, plug spare. With it hanging down I test, all comes on except fuel. I screw it up under the dash and replace the panel. I go to start the car :

A) car wont start. Cranks fast, no start. Only now seems different. After I let go of the key I feel one, two or three "lurches", like it is trying to fire.

B) Only part of the dash is now on. But one of the few lights on is fuel low. So I went got 5G just in case.

Come home. Add fuel. Remove under panel to digi dash power supply, but don't touch anything... now...

A) Full dash comes on, including the fuel. Shows full. :-O

B) crank is the same. Cranks healthy, but no fire. Still lurches after I let go of the key. One two or three times.

On the dash I am thinking it could be the wires or plug. When I move the panel around might be moving the wires or plugs in and out a bit, just enough to make contact.

On the start I am now considering this seems more like a MAF thing. It has plenty of fuel. I have tested fuel pump is ok. It was starting yesterday right away, but it wasn't running very smooth.

So, I left the panel off for access to digi power unit, to continue debugging this. Any opinions/ideas very welcome.

as far as the dash, you really need to inspect all the power supply connectors and resolder no matter what you see. This is the circuit board inside the box Otherwise find someone to rework it for you. If all the light go on and off its a ground issue on one of the board connectors. As far as a no start problem, join the club, Im battling with this all week I'll start another thread and not bomb yours. good luck

Comment

How's it going. Finally getting your Z running. Do you still have the HKS catback you bought from me?
      How's your timing? Have you changed the timing belt or removed the distributor since the last time it was running good?
      Shiro #443

Comment

Hi there. Yes on the HKS. No changes to timming or distributor. Just changed coil and ignition transistor (to PRW2) and started yesterday and drove.

Then this am... crank crank crank, but no start. :-(

Comment

Did you have to swap the pins in the connector to use the PRW2? Make sure the wiring is good.
          Shiro #443

Comment

Swapped them. Actually, I got a connector from the car and just rigged a patch cable with the wires crossed. That way I keep my original cable/plug the way it came in the car.

Anyways, started and ran after that. Not sure if the coil (new) or the PRW2 did the trick, but it started good. Yesterday, when it didn't want to start, I tried a second PRW2 I got at the junkyard, made no difference, so I am assuming that isn't it.

I wonder :

a) will the AFM keep it from starting?

b) will the MAF keep it from starting?

I printed the instructions from Xenon on both to check them out. But raining outside today, so... waiting.

Comment

Started working on this. Vehicle cranks strong but doesn't fire. Sometimes a stumble after I release the key.

ECU : lights come on when ignition is on. Codes

14 : speed sensor.
              23 : Idle Switch
              24 : Neutral/Park switch (is a manual Tranny)
              31 : A/C (has all the equipment in there but has never worked since I got the car).

Anything there that would keep it from starting? I think 14 comes up because it hasn't been runned since the battery was disconnected.

Not sure about 23, but I would think it would start but run badly (thats just a guess)

Comment

Did you try squirting starter fluid into the intake/throttle body? This will tell you if at least you have spark. I remove one of the hoses near the TB and shot some in and it would definitely kick over but not start. I order a new CAS since when I removed the distributor and rotated the gear there was no injector pulse, and verified the CAS had power. Best I can tell fuel pump is ok too. I just hope its not a bad ECU since I really never checked that since its been raining the past 2 days

Comment

AFM and MAF is the same thing. Sounds like the CAS but you're not getting a code for it. Sometimes when the CAS is bad it won't throw a code
                  Shiro #443

Comment

That's because it should be AFM or MAFS... people saying MAF are wrong like spinners

Comment

Researching CAS : Is this it ? http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...296&cc=1209495

RockAuto lists this unit for the 84 Turbo for $117... I was under the impression after reading most threads you couldn't get it alone (vs a whole distributor)...

Comment

A sponsor on this site sells them for $71 shipped

http://z31performance.com/showthread...nsors-in-Stock.

I ordered one from them yesterday. Too late I saw you bought one!

Comment

Definitely! Support our sponsors. (But RockAuto is pretty cool also )

Comment

Well, I have had a good - bad day with the AE. Read on. You laugh, you cry, is a great novel.

This morning I decided to start the car. Recap : after a year in storage, didn't want to start. Chaged Coil, spark plugs, CAS, and went with PRW-2. Cranks great (new battery), don't start. Fuel pump ok, fuse for ECU ok, ECU lights up, gives some codes but nothing that would keep it from start (A/C, etc).

So this am :

1. Removed distributor and re-installed new CAS. Had to file down one of the pegs at the bottom to make it fit level and won't rub the metal disk.
                            2. Do I have fuel? yes, pumps great.
                            3. power at PRW-2 connector? yes.
                            4. power at low side of coil? yes
                            5. removed coil lead at distributor, tested for spark : No.

humm. I happen to have another set of wires, Replaced coil to dist wire.

START. On the first turn of the key. Humms like a bird. ALRIGHT!!! So, a coil to dist cable. Sometimes the simple things....

I decided to take it for a ride. Started again fine. Went around a loop city drive of about 20 miles, then hwy about 5 miles, back to city driving. All well, turbo pulls well, all temps fine. In all about an hour and 20 mins drive, engine well warmed up.

We stopped to get lunch (my Dad an I) for about 1:15 or so. We came out. It started, but ran very rough for about 20 secs, then died. Would not start again. Cranks strong, but nothing. It cranks and cranks, doesn't stumble or missfire. Seems to me there is no spark. I would think it might be vapor lock, but wouldn't it stumble or do some kind of "cough"?

:-O

My Dad got a ride home, the tow truck just dropped me off at home $60 later.

So, any ideas???? I plan to start again tomorrow in orderly fashion, but any ideas would help.

Comment

Prw-2
                              Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
                              if it fails, fuck it.
                              at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Working...
                              X