R200 rebuild or replace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R200 rebuild or replace

Just as. The title implies im trying to figure out if I should rebuild or just replace the diff it is clunking alott and lots of play in the drive shaft when in neutral does anybody know what part inside could be bad or maby all gears are worn. Anyway id like to hear some of your opinions about this issue im dealing with
    thanks in advance

depends on the availability of good used diffs in your area. Used open diff shouldn't be hard to find. Finding all the parts to completely rebuild the diff will not be easy or cheap. Nissan still has a few, Rockauto has a few, and if you have a CLSD, the clutch plates are sometimes available from a custom source on hybridz.org.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Comment

Have you drained the fluid and looked at it? If there are metal shavings or chunks in it then it's probably the diff/ring&pinion. If not and this is an open diff, then I think it's something else in your driveline.
      Justin
      1986 NA 2-seater
      SCCA Solo E-Street Prepared #31
      Race Videos
      Build Thread

Comment

It is an open diff have drained and replaced with gl-4.
        If trans is in gear their is no plat in drive shaft. When in neutral shaft rotates about half an inch which tells me Its the diff.
        there were no chunks or shavings just real dirty may have had some flake in it but dont remember that was a while ago

Comment

Originally posted by C.Gesler View Post
          It is an open diff have drained and replaced with gl-4.
          And what's GL-4 doing in your diff. Hmmm?
          Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
          if it fails, fuck it.
          at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Sorry bout that I do beleave it was gl-5 (Pennzoil syncromesh) I remember having to search for fluid and was told that was it.
            Anyway I have been having this issue befor I changed fluid

Comment

Working...
            X