Tranny Conversion - Reverse Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Conversion - Reverse Lights

About a year ago, I did a conversion to my 87' (10/86). The car was an automatic to which I converted it to the Nissan 5spd from an 88' N/A.
    The conversion itself went fairly smooth. After turning wrenches, turning the key did not go so smoothly.
    I discovered a tech write up which answered my questions regarding the electrical bypass for starting the car.

http://www.xenonz31.com/autotomanualswap.html

At the time, I wasn't interested in making the backup lights work. I just recently got popped by the local PD issuing me a written warning for no backup lights.
    The tech write up explained what wires to jump in order to make the reverse lights work however, I feel like there is a loss in translation.

Xenonz31's instructions for 87-89 read as follows.

87-89AUTOSWAPWIRES.png

You are looking at the pins on the inhibitor switch FROM the tranny side ? not the end attached to the engine!!!

To START, jump the Black/Blue (B/BL)with the Black/Red (B/R)wire

If you want to start only when clutch is depressed, and for the cruise control to work, perform this jump at the clutch switch (you may need to use a universal switch rather than the Nissan clutch switch). I haven�t done this yet.

If you want the reverse light to come on when you put car in reverse, connect the blue wire from the reverse light switch on tranny side to the B/W wire on the inhibitor switch. Then connect the black wire (this is the ground wire) from the reverse light switch on tranny side to the B/R wire on the inhibitor switch.

I suppose I need clarification on what the difference is between "tranny side" and "inhibitor switch".

Currently I have two harness plugs available by the battery area. An 8-pin and a 4-pin connector. The 8-pin is where I was able to bridge points with a jumper wire in order to make the car start. The 8-pin connector has 6 wires running to it, one of which is a Blue/white wire that I believe runs to the reverse lights. When I bridge the Blue/White to a black, the reverse lights come on and stay on. Going in and out of the Reverse Gear has no effect. I got under the car and verified that the reverse switch on the tranny is working properly (continuity test). The harness that plugs into the reverse switch consists of a yellow/black and a Orange? (it looks faded) wire. Skimming through the wiring diagrams, I'm having a difficulty tracking down that color combination in retrospect to my 8-pin harness... let alone the "blue wire" that Xenon refers to in step four of his instructions.

Anybody have any insight? Any quick fix? I prefer not to if the fix is simple but, I'm half tempted to create my own sub harness to make the reverse lights function.

The 8-pin connector is what you want to be working with. One end of the reverse light switch goes to ground and the other end goes to the blue/white wire. Look at the 8-pin connector (the end coming from the frame rail) and you will see that wire, simply make sure one end of the switch goes to that.
    It's a very simple circuit...the voltage leaves the fuse box and goes to the (+) connection on the reverse light bulbs and the (-) connection from the bulbs goes to ground via the blue/white wire to the switch then to body ground. You could even ground the switch on the gear box.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

I left the whole circular assembly connected and left it in the "neutral" position. Haven't got around to actually wiring anything yet but it has worked for me for the last two weeks.
      1986 300ZX factory Turbo 2+2 5 speed swap. 1985 Toyota MR2. Floor boards gone. Good fabrication practice.

Comment

Working...
      X