Brake replacement parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake replacement parts

Looking at replacing my rear brakes (caliper, rotor, pads and possibly brake lines). What brands are recommended for the Z31? Looking at Rock Auto there are a lot of options. I'm mainly worried about which rotor and caliper would be the best as I see pads as more of a personal choice.

Rear rotor: (First three listed as daily driver) Beck/Arnley, Raybestos, Wagner. (Last three listed as economy) Centric, Bendix, AC Delco
    Rear caliper: A-1 Cardone, Centric, Raybestos, Nastra. (Loaded not listed as I would prefer to pick my own pads)
    私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
    ・1984 300zx N/A

I bought the Centric rear calipers from rockauto for my 86T. I have no complaints.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Comment

How has the finish held up on the Centric? I've read about some of these brands developing surface rust in short order. Also did yours come with the pad retainer clips? I've heard some say there calipers came with them and others said no.
      私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
      ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Most of the rotors do not come with rust inhibiting paint like OE rotors. It only comes with the cosmoline on them to keep them from rusting in the boxes.

I have used Centric, Raybestos, and Beck/Arnley with good results for the calipers and brake master cylinder. I have no clue what brand front rotors I have as they were given to me brand new for free for my Z32 front conversion.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
        1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
        2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

I painted my calipers before installing with caliper paint

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

What about what I'm seeing with RockAuto specifying US or Canadian market. I see some specifying "Except Canadian models" yet they show both the US and Canadian flag. Others only show the Canadian flag.

Painting the calipers sounds good. I'm assuming caliper paint will be fine for the rotor hats as well?
            私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
            ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

They probably mean the Canadian-only SF model which had different rotors, and if not different calipers, at least different brackets for them...

Comment

No, it means available in Canada

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

Ordered the Centric rotors and Centric calipers. Figured they would be the best choice for calipers since they are listed as Tokico.
                  私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
                  ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Just take the time to mask and paint your rotors. Mine rears still look brand new years later

Also, Centric premium rotors come with e-coated hats. They have stood up to some years of abuse and still coated black.
                    86na - BlueZ
                    Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
                    85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

Originally posted by G-E View Post
                      They probably mean the Canadian-only SF model which had different rotors, and if not different calipers, at least different brackets for them...
                      I bought these by accident once, they are a different diameter rotor, and will only make contact with roughly half of the brake pad lol.
                      " I spend another hour trying to rip the bolt out of the subframe, pausing every five minutes to scream and contemplate how I get myself into these situations. Two cars over, a guy urinates. I watch the steam waft off of the fresh puddle in the gravel. It merges with the blowing snow and is cut by the aerodynamic wedge of a nearby Fiero. Beautiful. Another pry and the carrier finally falls to earth. I walk out of there $80 lighter, which makes me more mad." - Brian Kolar

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
                        Ordered the Centric rotors and Centric calipers. Figured they would be the best choice for calipers since they are listed as Tokico.
                        Just curious if you've installed these, and if you have any opinions on the product. I bought a reman Tokico caliper from AutoZone and it was junk. Don't want to replae on "warranty" just to get more junk.
                        '86 NA - original owner (1986-93) and final owner (2005-present)

My build thread: http://z31performance.com/showthread...-Got-mine-back

Comment

Working...
                        X