Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reusing drilled and tapped crankshaft sprocket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reusing drilled and tapped crankshaft sprocket?

Hey all,

I was doing my timing belt (and associated maintenance items) so I removed the sprocket to replace the crankshaft oil seal. The sprocket was stuck on the shaft so I had to resort to drilling and tapping two holes in it and using a pully puller to get it off.

I drilled the two holes as close to 180* from each other as possible and the same distance out, and pretty close to the same depth.

I'm wondering if I can reuse the sprocket or if I should purchase a new one with a new key.

I imagine this is a balanced part because it's spinning and such, and that to be safe I should probably grab a new one, but it's going to take a week or two to come in, and I'm antsy to put the car back together.

I'm just looking for some guidance on if it's wise to put my sprocket back in or just wait for a new one to come. Surely I'd rather wait some weeks now than risk destroying my engine in some way.

Thanks

I doubt it will hurt anything but I'd replace it to be safe.
    5.3 LSx Z31

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I have ordered a new sprocket and key and await their arrival.

Edit: One other thing, is there any reason I shouldn't put some grease or anti-seize on the crankshaft before I put the gear back on to prevent it from seizing on there again? Seems to me that would be fine.

Comment

You could reuse it, but if you want to do it right you should replace it. HOWEVER, you should always replace the woodruff key. You're already in there. It is cheap insurance. It's perfectly fine to put some antiseize on the crankshaft when you put the new timing gear back on.

Best of luck!

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I bought a new gear and key.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X