Speakers crackling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers crackling

I searched and couldn't find a similar problem, so forgive me if this has been covered before. This is on my '84 N/A GL. I installed a new head unit and replaced all 4 speakers. I also ran new wires to the rear as the write-ups mention. The problem I'm having is a horrible crackling noise at anything over 25-30 volume (depends on the song playing). I also do not seem to be getting head unit sound from the driver side front speaker, however the voice warning system still works. This means the crackling is only noticeable from the passenger side front. Where it gets stranger is that if I fade to rear (+15) I can turn it up past 40 with no crackling but as soon as I fade back to the zero fade point the crackling starts. This leads me to the conclusion that it's a problem in the front speakers as I re-wired the back.

I originally thought that the problem of only the front passenger speaker giving audio and the driver side retaining voice warning might be tied to a blown speaker some how (don't know why I thought that but I figured the first step would be to replace them since I knew the rears had pretty much disintegrated).

Any thoughts? As a note, I do want to retain the voice warning. I'm sure I could rewire the front but I'm not familiar with the system to retain Betty. I do feel I'm missing something though.
    私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
    ・1984 300zx N/A

I have the exact same issue.

I first assumed the speakers were blown, so I replaced all four...no improvement.

I then assumed the aftermarket Alpine radio was no good, so I installed a new Pioneer...no improvement.

I was left to conclude that the factory speaker wiring runs through a factory amp which must be blown. I checked under the passenger seat, where I was pretty sure it was located in my '87 GLL, but there was not one there (this one is an '88 GL).

I decided it would just be easier to re-wire the speakers directly.

Of course the rears were easy enough, but the fronts are a PITA as the wires have to run through those S shaped grommets.

I tried sticking a hanger from the door into the cabin through the grommet location but didn't see where it came out as it appears to be high enough up under the dash and behind lots of peripheral stuff.

Not in the mood to start disassembling lots of junk under the dash to get to the hole, I just said screw it and have the fader all the way to the rear, figuring that would be a little project for another day.

Interested to hear suggestions as well.

Comment

Honestly... I got tired of that grommet's shit, and I made two small incisions, one in each, so I could guide my hanger through them.

As for OP, its the factory wiring. And there is a write up(s) for rewiring the fronts and still keeping Betty. I do not know which one though.
      __________________________________________________ ___________________
      "Aim towards the Enemy." --
      Instruction printed on US Rocket Launcher

86 N/A:Rebuilt Autotragic, Cat Delete, PRW-2, Poly Bushings, MSA sway bars, Pioneer HU and Speakers, Sleepy Eyes
      Current 0-60: 10.0 flat =[

Comment

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I've searched and searched and can't find a writeup that talks about keeping Betty.
        私♥フェアレディ・ゼット
        ・1984 300zx N/A

Comment

Betty deserves here own speaker...
          1. Run new wires to the front speakers from your head unit.
          2. Pull the factory speaker wires back out of the door and under the dash.
          3. Install a 3in speaker or larger (plenty of room up and between the steering column and clutch supports).
            Even a PC stereo speaker would work.
          4. Connect speaker to factory drivers side speaker wires.
          5. Terminate front factory speaker wires at the head unit so they don't short out on anything.
          6. Enjoy quality sound and Betty.

Theoretically, you could install Betty's own speaker anywhere in the cabin.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Working...
          X