Blown head gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown head gasket?

88T 5-speed. I bought the car about a year ago with a broken odometer that failed in 2004 with 135,000 miles on it at the time so actual mileage is unknown. I don’t know much about the car’s history but the timing belt was replaced shortly before I got it. I thought it would be prudent to check it for a head gasket leak. I ran the engine with the radiator cap off, and saw bubbles in the coolant. I performed the block test with the kit from NAPA and the fluid turned yellow, indicating exhaust gas in the coolant and a blown head gasket. I performed compression and cylinder leakdown tests and measured 160-170 psi and less than 5% leakage in all cylinders. I drained both the oil and coolant, and they both look fine with no indication of mixing. The engine always starts and runs great and has never overheated since I owned the car. It does not blow white smoke. Is this a potential disaster waiting to happen suddenly, or will it get worse and let me know it’s time to fix it before something catastrophic happens?
Working...
X