When changing transmission gear oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When changing transmission gear oil

When I change teams gear oil and I am not at work with a lift and nice bulk gear oil pump I prefer not to struggle with trying to fill through the fill hole. If I do not have the convenience of shop tools I remove the shifter and fill through the top. Am I the only one that does this or is this common practice for people working on there cars at home. Part of my reasoning is that most of the time if working on the car at home where I am adding gear oil the shifter was already removed because the teams was out for some reason like a clutch or rear main replacement.

So what do you guys do
    Do you pull the shifter
    Or pump it in through the fill hole

Did it once, I hate it. Ended up putting too much in there which left a nice oil trail down my driveway and around the block. Until it was happy.
    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
    if it fails, fuck it.
    at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Yea you can't really overfill it anymore than the diff, if it expands too much from heat, it will boil/flow out of the breather holes

Comment

I pumped mine up into the fill hole the first time, second time through the shifter. As long as it's in there and you know how much you've put in, you're good

Comment

I just don't like dealing with the pumps

Comment

Done it both ways. If the shifter is off fill from the top. Otherwise fill from fill hole and use a $5 hand pump
            Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

I'm going to fill my 30a in a few minutes...hand pump, the other way is just ghetto. And I live in da hood!
              Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
              if it fails, fuck it.
              at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Working...
              X