VG30DET information (unicorn stuff)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG30DET information (unicorn stuff)

Don't know exactly where to put this. If it's in the wrong area please feel free to move it.

This is all the information i have been able to gather for a VG30DET not a vg30et not a vg30dett. I'm making this thread to help future vg30det people and future swaps this information is mostly shrouded in mystery and information for the single turbo twin cam monster is seriously scarce.

There 2 types of vg30dets series 1 and series 2.

Series 1s have black intake manifolds and red valve covers, they don't have knock sensors, they dont have recirculation valves, some turbos are journal bearing or ball bearing depending on model. However they are bigger then rb25 turbos and vg30et turbos i will post specs when i have a chance and when I get home. These motors are believed to make 230hp at the crank despite what wiki says however theres no hardcore evidence. Most of these motors came in luxury nissans in Japan ans they are just hard to get ahold of.*

Series 2; they have a black intake manifold cover with a unpainted upper intake manifold and silver valve covers with knock sensors and they do have recirculation valves. These motors are believed to make 250hp crank again there's no evidence behind this statement they can make 120 crabk hp for all i know though i doubt it.*

The series 1 and 2 share the same cylinder heads. 45v regardless of year. Upper and lower intake manifold are also the same, the vg30det's use a top side feed fuel rail setup like the 87-89 z31 300zxs na/turbo. Vg30det's also run 270/260cc injectors stock. Impedance has not been confirmed yet i will get to that. (I have a series 1 and 2 vg30det)*

All vg30dets have bigger intake ports then z32 vg30de/dett from 89-1999, vg30dets have a unknown compression ratio i have speculation that series 1 is 8.3:1 and series 2 is 8.5:1 which makes sense considering the power drop with series 1. Vs series 2 again no evidence YET!!!

Vg30dett/de vs vg30det the blocks are different vg30 twin turbo and na blocks have a casting of 30p the det is a block casting of F65 whether its stronger or not I'm not sure. I know nissan doesn't change casting numbers unless a change was made like non turbo 30p heads vs twin turbo 40p heads vs 48p tt heads vs 45V det heads.*

Vg30det have a side mounted starter just like the z31s, they also have the oil filter mounted like the z31s as do they have the motor mount setup like a turbo vg30et so theoretically it should just drop right in on a z31 minus wiring.

I will get more information and pictures as it comes
    1986 300ZX GLL auto non turbo

The 30P block is stronger. Much like the V52/21V to 83G/85E SOHC block, it has additional webbing in the valley, etc.
    - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

I have a VG30DET that was imported in the front cut of a '91 Cima, in 1991. What I'm going to say is completely hearsay, from my memory of a conversation 15 years ago, and I have no facts to back it up....

I know one of the guys that worked on the engines in the GTP program. He told me the VG30DET was developed with a heavier/stronger block so it could be homologated for use in GTP. It was an expensive proposition and they didn't have to build very many (relatively speaking) to be legal so they only put them in Nissan's high-end luxury cars. The high-profit models helped to offset the cost of development, and made it easier to justify this new engine to the bean counters. While the engine was on it's way into production FIA changed the rules for GTP to allow aftermarket blocks of alternative materials. I'm told this was done because no other manufacturer in the series had a production block that was strong enough to compete with the VG. Nissan never used the VG30DET block in a P car, instead they produced aluminum racing blocks, like all the other manufacturers, and continued to dominate. I was told that a VG30DET long block like mine is "about 50 pounds heavier" than a VG30DETT longblock. I have never stripped my engine down so I don't know it's weight. I would very much like to see DET and DETT bare blocks accurately weighed to compare. I would also like to see sonic testing of cylinder wall thickness of the DET block as I was told most of the extra weight was in heaver cylinder walls.
      http://www.vg30.com

Comment

Working...
      X