Running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running rich

What would cause a rich running condition in closed loop but not in open loop
    On first start up I have a clean burn (smell test) once ecu goes into closed loop I get a really rich burn
    I know it should be something with O2 but harness and all check out

how can you tell youre laving closed loop issues while driving? tried just disconnecting the sensor to rule it out?
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Comment

It's more start up runs great at first then stays rich some tes when I really get on it it seams to be burning right then back to rich
      M9stly I can tell during startup
      I have un plugged sensor and dosent make difference
      I started to swap to na2t did injectors and ecu was running great for a few days then again it returns to running rich

Comment

pretty sure the o2 is not in operation at idle... so youre running the wrong parts for the car, incompletely, well that explains your WHOLE issue right there.
        Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
        Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
        sigpic

Comment

You are right about O2 maby I'm over thinking this problem
          I was having this issue with the stock injectors and ecu
          I changed ecu due to some burnt circuits. ecu, injectors and O2 match. Thought that would clear up my issue, and it did for a few days in fact it ran lean for a bit first (heard light pinging) probably running on the old cars sensors input)

Anyway just so I know, how would an 86 n/a run with the turbo ecu and injectors installed,

Comment

Make sure your components match. Make sure if you have a cali or fed ecu that it matches the yellow or blue tag maf.
            At idle with the engine At operating temp it uses o2 feedback. The only time it doesn't use feedback is in open loop ( wot and cold engine) so at cruise and idle you should get to the 14.7 afr.
            http://z31performance.com/showthread...2-2-(-now-NA2T
            My build thread (:

Comment

Originally posted by C.Gesler View Post
              You are right about O2 maby I'm over thinking this problem
              I was having this issue with the stock injectors and ecu
              I changed ecu due to some burnt circuits. ecu, injectors and O2 match. Thought that would clear up my issue, and it did for a few days in fact it ran lean for a bit first (heard light pinging) probably running on the old cars sensors input)

Anyway just so I know, how would an 86 n/a run with the turbo ecu and injectors installed,
              I ran my 85 like that and it drove rich for the 2 months before I finished the swap. I also had the incorrect o2 installed and plugged in. It was drivable though and shot much fire.
              http://z31performance.com/showthread...2-2-(-now-NA2T
              My build thread (:

Comment

Yesterday I double checked all parts
                ECU is an 86 t fed 5sp
                O2 is 17 mil titania
                MAF is a yellow tag fed
                Also checked
                valve timing
                Ign timing
                New plugs (bcpr5es)
                Wires (sti)
                Cap (nissan)
                Rotor (nissan)
                Guess I should finish the rest of the swap and see where I stand at that point
                I also dont run idle controls or emission related components

Comment

Can anybody do an ohm test on their MAF as per xenon's site so I can compare readings
                  Thanks

Comment

Have you checked the CHTS. You know the ECU enriches the engine base off the temp reading the CHTS provides. Bypass it with a 2.5K resistor and see what happens.
                    Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
                    if it fails, fuck it.
                    at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

New from nissan and I have rewired the harnes

Comment

Tested MAF again. Between c-d I am getting 0 ohms instead of .9 so I'm guessing that is my problem, sence all other readings ar the same per xenonz31 MAF testing procedure
                        Anyone know if this is fixable or just replace

Comment

Just opened up one of my mafs shouldn't c-d be 0 ohms sence they are soldered to the same tracer on the board

Comment

Working...
                          X