Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power steering pump / alternator pulley removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power steering pump / alternator pulley removal?

Okay I feel totally retarded here but I can't figure out how to remove the power steering and alternator pulleys. All the Googling I do only comes up with results for removing the press-on kind of pulleys, and mine don't look like they're gonna be pressing anywhere until I can get the spindle nut off, which I can't do because I can't immobilize the pulley sufficiently to break the nut loose. Am I missing something really obvious or what?

Thanks in advance.
    Zoey - 1987 Z31T GLL - HKS EVC / CM SS 3" turbo-back / Stance GR+
    Black Betty - 2014 Audi C7 S6 APR1

I know for a fact that the alt pulleys just unbolt and slide off. the PS pump I believe is splined and also, unbolts and slides off. I use an Impact and a rag to hold it when I do them.
    Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
    Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
    sigpic

Comment

Maybe throw it in a vice and use an impact gun?
      Usual Z31 suspect: Garage Queen (aka broken)

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna have to do something like that. I'm just worried about damaging the pulley or the spindle. Thanks for the responses, guys.

Comment

its is splined and pops right off once the nut is removed, easy peasy

Comment

Wow, do I feel like an idiot for having taken this long to discover the joy of impact tools. I can't believe how much I agonized over that stupid spindle nut. $45 at Ukrainian Tire (Newfie Speed & Sport for the Easterners) for a wicked-awesome timing sale on an electric impact gun, a single tap of the trigger without even trying to immobilize the rest of the pump, and the f**king thing spins right off just like I didn't spend several hours throwing things around my garage in frustration.

Easy peasy indeed. If only the operator wasn't such a retard. :P

Comment

Instant breakaway torque is a beautiful thing. Just use your new powers wisely.
              PB-Blaster on the rusty bits, lest ye anger the gods of friction and gall threads.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Working...
              X