Climate control and clock bulbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Climate control and clock bulbs.

Anyone now where or how to get replacement bulbs for the climate control and the clock. Yes, I discovered the clock also has one of those strange little twist in bulbs.

Are there led replacements available?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome.
    Thanks
    Jim

Auto or manual climate control?

There is no off-the-shelf LED replacement for the clock, i know this for certain
    as i just rebuilt my auto climate control and clock assembly and used LED's where i could.

The clock uses a twist connector with the bulb built into it. You could solder an LED and drop
    resistor into that location if you're good with a soldering iron. I am and i decided against it
    because having an LED in there did funky things to the light reflected.

The clock has a reflector assembly behind the LCD, and when i put an LED in there, it didn't
    distribute the light evenly enough for my liking. Whats the point in using an LED if only half of it is super bright...

You can use T5 wedge LED bulbs for the buttons on the auto climate control but the backlight, again has a funky
    diffuser that i didn't like with an LED. In some cases a forward emitting T5 wedge is better, in others, a side emitting
    is better for lighting up the acrylic light guides.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Z_Karma is right: Some areas have reflectors that are made to channel the light to other areas of the panels. This can cause dark areas when using LED's because the light is so focused.

Speaking from experience here, I replaced all the bulbs in my climate control and radio. The climate control looks good and I'm pleased enough to want to keep it that way. The radio has some areas that are too dark compared to the old bulbs. (BTW all bulbs I'm running are 3-way wedge LED's). Next time I remove the radio I will switch back to the bulbs. I don't have access to my pictures but I think I took before and afters that I can share later.

What I would like to explore someday is running an LED strip behind the face plate to cover as much area behind there as possible.

Comment

Hey thanks- and the CC is auto.

Comment

EL panel (Indiglo) might work well in there. I did my whole manual climate face with it and am very pleased. You will need to mount the step up transformer

(no big deal there is plenty of room inside) and a few other minor issues but over all they look great and have functioned well over the past two years installed. Good Luck.
          Everything is Meaningless.

Comment

Here are some pictures of mine. As I mentioned before, the radio is dim in some areas, but the climate control looks good to me.

IMG_3884_zpsgfrmnpw7.jpg

IMG_3885_zpsyx2sze5u.jpg

IMG_3886_zpszef5cszc.jpg

IMG_3887_zps8in0rfii.jpg

These are the bulbs that I used: https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...rofit-car/228/

Comment

just an FYI the oem bulbs for the auto CC were still available new from Nissan a few months ago. OEM clock bulb was discontinued from what I remember

Comment

You can remove the little twist in bulb on the newer clock's and bend the wires and remove the burned out bulb. Then find a small 12v incandansant bulb with wires attached in the color of your choice. I found some in green and blue at American Science & Surplus (SCIPLUS.COM) Bend the wires around the twist keeper in the reverse of how you removed them, insert the bulb and you are good to go. If you have one of the early clocks - good luck the bulb is solderer into the case and my eyes are not good enough to remove the old bulb and insert a new one.

Comment

Working...
                X