NISTUNE - to use or not to use for an NA2T conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NISTUNE - to use or not to use for an NA2T conversion

hey guys, I have been planning to do a turbo conversion on my 87 2+2 for some time now and I am debating on using a stock 87T ecu or just nistuning my stock n/a ecu... I am looking for a stock turbo setup, however I feel that with the higher compression and better compatibility with n/a parts, it might be worth getting NISTUNE to ensure safe running while in boost. also, will allow me to keep my n/a idle control valve and everything else (except the injectors) those I plan on getting from an 87T, just normal dual side-feed. another reason to go this way is that my engine is pretty worn and needs a rebuild prior to any of this. I know that if my pistons are bad or the cylinder walls need to be bored, then I will have to get oversized pistons which should raise the compression higher than 9:1. like I said, stock setup for an NA - Turbo.

also, thinking about using a stock T3 turbocharger, but thinking may be a bit safe to go the T25 route... what do you think?

Thanks,

Bonny

I would get a air fuel meter and go with the stock '87T ecu. You have many options for larger injector sizing and ability to go Nistune if you should decide. T3 is better for power and raised boost. Adjustable cam gears and 3" exhuast would be on the list as well.

Comment

T25 wouldn't really be "safer" than a T3. Higher boost levels than stock will put the T25 out of it's efficiency range before the T3. Safest thing would be to have it intercooled.
      Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Comment

Nistune isn't a bad idea in any regard. a good and compatible wideband would be Zeitronix, love my ZT-3. Go with a T3, dont waste your time on the tiny turbo. we did a NA-T with a T3, and nistune on my brothers car, granted with 440cc injectors (which aren't required) at 11 psi intercooled he was at 250hp/300tq dyno'd!

The Zeitronix ZT-2, you can have boost and other pressure sensors as well as wideband, which will feed to nistune as well. helpful for datalogging!
        Damn dirty angels....these cars!

Current Daily Driver - 86 Turbo.
        Under the cover - THE BANANA... that needs to be re-energized.
        sigpic

Comment

nistune

thanks guys for your replies.

it sounds better to go with the regular T3 turbo. I am looking for a stock setup, of course with a bit higher compression. I do like the idea of nistune. I did some youtube research on it and it seems like a safe way to run boost on any application, however I think for now I will just do a stock setup and nistune later if I feel engine safety is in jeopardy or decide to try and run more boost, more fuel, bigger injectors, etc...
          as far as intercooling, I like the idea. however the Z31 doesn't offer much space with out moving some things around. a spearco kit would be nice to get though. as far as exhaust, I thought about getting a CM 3" from the cat back, or maybe just getting everything 2.5" from the downpipe back. lots of ideas and options. thanks again, guys. will take your advice and run with it!

Cheers,

The Bonster

Comment

i have a freshly rebuilt T3 by joel at az tractor turbo, it is nice to look at. i was planning on installing it on a built vg34 in its stock location and was having the same questions about whether or not the turbo ecu would handle that job or if i needed to go with some type of support whether it be nistune or something else. preferably i need a tuner shop in tempe that can help me tune it the right way. as i have never tuned a turboed engine before.
            i have the stock turbo 260 injectors also, rebuilt ready for install, , felt like this needed to be added

Comment

With the stock injectors you will be limited anyways. So installment turbo run a good wideband air fuel gauge with the stock turbo ecu and keep boost levels down. Will you be running an intercooler? Bigger exhaust? I made a little over 300 to the wheels on the stock ecu, injectors and MAF with a holset hx35 turbo, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, intercooler, full 3" turbo back exhaust and giant cams. Mod your car one part at a time but be smart about how far you push it. Oh and get a good boost gauge and controller as well. http://youtu.be/GhIncX7vMdY

Comment

If you bore a VG33 block it becomes a VG34 so if you bore a VG30 block it becomes a VG31. Straight up nonsense
                Cha iro

enjoy building it yourself.
                if it fails, fuck it.
                at least you gave it a whirl.

Comment

Originally posted by Trbulnt
                  With the stock injectors you will be limited anyways. So installment turbo run a good wideband air fuel gauge with the stock turbo ecu and keep boost levels down. Will you be running an intercooler? Bigger exhaust? I made a little over 300 to the wheels on the stock ecu, injectors and MAF with a holset hx35 turbo, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, intercooler, full 3" turbo back exhaust and giant cams. Mod your car one part at a time but be smart about how far you push it. Oh and get a good boost gauge and controller as well. http://youtu.be/GhIncX7vMdY
                  not sure what you mean by installment turbo or good wideband air fuel gauge, are these some kind of support systems, sorry i am very new to all this part of tuning.
                  i have the stock t3 rebuilt at stock trim so boost levels will stay at stock which i thought to be between 6-8 psi, not sure i think at 3500 or so RPM.

i would like to get an intercooler setup at the same time as the rest of the build. prolly have a shop do it tho. like i said i prolly need a shop unless someone is willing to spell it out for me really slow.
                  bigger exhaust if necessary, i have the entire stock turbo set up including manifolds, cross over, Stock turbo exhaust piping, ( that doesnt have broken bolts) and the stock turbo down pipe that got cut off at the cat, i also think i have my old reman catalytic converter that should still be good, but i think is only about 1.75 or 2 inch diameter max. so if i need to go bigger then yes i will, but i would like to keep the rest of this build under 2k.

im kinda doing it all at once, but im not doing giant cams just stock turbo cams. owo heads. z31 intake, t3 turbo, possible intercooler if easily added, stock injectors, stock turbo ecu. want a reliable DD that i can take to the track on a rare occasion in the distant future. dont have the funds to take it that far, but if i can build a good base that will last then it will be easier to add on.

i still am unsure about the piggy back or nistune or whatever it is or how it works.. nor do i know how to use or install a boost gauge or controller yet, but im ready to learn. i know i need to do some research..

just read your youtube thread. so i need a ajustable fuel pressure regulator. do you think the added displacement will affect performance or will i need to adjust for that somehow, was that a 3.0 block u got those numbers or 33? just curious cause i have a 3.3 bored .10 over and it is balanced.

Comment

It was a stock 3.0 turbo motor I used. Sorry I meant no matter what direction you go I highly recommend a good wideband o2 sensor like an aem. The adjustable fuel pressure regulator is not necessary but will will allow you to raise your fuel pressure a bit and control it better plus it will only help you in the future when you go bigger injectors. For your setup you should be fine without the all stock components even with the increase in displacement since you aren't planning on running much boost at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Trbulnt View Post
                      It was a stock 3.0 turbo motor I used. Sorry I meant no matter what direction you go I highly recommend a good wideband o2 sensor like an aem. The adjustable fuel pressure regulator is not necessary but will will allow you to raise your fuel pressure a bit and control it better plus it will only help you in the future when you go bigger injectors. For your setup you should be fine without the all stock components even with the increase in displacement since you aren't planning on running much boost at all.
                      this is very helpful. thanks.
                      my only other thought would be to question the fact that it also has NA compression ratio pistons that i dont believe to be forged, will this also be looked over by the stock setup and still operate accordingly.
                      thanks again as this has been the most information and help given to me thus far

Comment

In my opinion at stock boost levels you should be fine.

Comment

Working...
                        X