Going to take the plunge.... NAT2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to take the plunge.... NAT2

been on here a lot thinking about weather or not to turbo charge my Z... well, I have made the decision that it's going to happen. finally.

so far I have obtained pretty much everything I need other than an ecu and injectors. and it is a far cry to find parts for a Z31 out here in the United Arab Emirates... however, last week I pulled a complete turbo assembly, piping, exhaust manifold, idle control valve, air bypass valve, valve covers, and cross-member from a JDM VG20ET out of a 200Z and other misc. turbo parts. the turbo on the early Z31 is not a T3, but a Garret TB250. looks to be a bit smaller, but not as small as a T25. I'm not quite sure how much boost this little turbo was designed to run, but I can't imagine that is any more than 6 - 7 psi. I hope to have some pictures and maybe even a video posted soon.

the state of my current n/a motor is being rebuilt to address the oil burning issue that had been occurring previously. pistons are fried and rings coming apart on cylinder #4.

I'm fine with the 9:1 compression for a stock turbo setup, however the new pistons and rings going in are oversize (50 mm) so I don't know how much that will affect the compression. hopefully that won't create any issues. of course, I need to get the engine back together and perform the break-in period for the new components. after that is all completed, then I will start the NA2T process. since I am only looking to do a stock turbo configuration, I am thinking about getting a CM 2.5 exhaust pipe from the down pipe to the cat. won't be intercooling at this time, however as the hot summer comes soon, it may be necessary to keep things a bit cooler and safer for the engine.
    one thing that I didn't remove from the VG20 was its oil cooler assembly and the oil pan. I think I will have an oil feed nipple welded to the my stock pan. I would hope that the stock oil cooler would aid in helping cool the oil especially for the turbo which unfortunately is not water cooled.

so, good things to come. I'm excited to be getting on with it. will keep posting progress as the build comes along.

Cheers,

Bon

Glad you you were able to source most everything you needed to get rolling What's the timeline to completion?
    1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO Performance Package

Comment

turbo-wise, hopefully around March time frame. the engine is in 100 little pieces right now waiting for rebuild. and i'm waiting on parts from the states, but hopefully most should start arriving tomorrow and this show can get started. got the cross-member going in now and i want to be sure there are no more oil burning issues and anything wrong internally with the motor. still need to make one more trip up to Dubai and pull some more parts from that VG20. think i'll grab the oil pan, pump, and cooler assembly and maybe those top feed injectors. picked up an early spoiler from the 200z and got a late model spoiler coming from the states as well.

i'm hoping to have the engine back in and running up by 15 Feb. any advice or tips on breaking the motor in? i've read to drive normally and take it easy until the break in period is complete and perform an oil change. make sure everything seats well. i want this thing to being running 100% before the turbo goes on. this is something that i wish i would have done over a year ago. oh well, starting late is better than not starting at all.

Bon

Comment

Sounds like you hit the jack-pot with that 200z. I'm certainly no expert but I've always heard to take it easy for 500 miles, do the oil change and inspect the old oil for particulates to ensure nothing is fubar.
        1986zxt w/ '86, 56k mile, na engine (turbo bits swapped), K&N intake, 3" CM Performance turbo-back exhaust, Eibachs, KYB shocks, Front Mount Intercooler (2.5" plumbing), Turbosmart MBC/9 lbs, recirculating BOV, ASCO plenum, dual fans, Maxima alt, Champion 3 row Radiator.

Comment

yes. I plan to do just that. still haven't received the pistons and rings yet, among everything else on order. just need to wait for now.
          I need to ask, is your zxt a bonafide turbo or na2t? are you running the stock Nissan turbo exhaust back to the cat? and was that a 2" or 2.5"?
          how does your eibach springs go with you KYBs? I have KYB on mine but they jack the car waaay up. drives me nuts.... but I was thinking about getting some lowering springs to counter that problem. looking at a spring set made in Germany that I found on ebay.

Comment

It is a factory turbo. The exhaust is a CM Performance 3" aluminized, dual tip. It is 3" from the O2 sensor back. The Eibach and the KYB make for a good combination. Firm, but won't jar teeth, sporty. The car did sit a little high even with the lowering springs but over time seems to have settled a little. Not ready $wise to make the jump to coilovers.

Comment

Working...
            X