Quarter panel replacement (FINISHED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter panel replacement (FINISHED)

I have decided to repair the silver 87 turbo with the damaged body. My body man showed me pictures of other uni-body damage and repairs similar to this one. I am confident they can do a good job for the $1617.00 they quoted me.

I am supplying all the parts so this will be a WIP thread.

I started to cut the entire quarter out of the donor car yesterday and had to stop due to darkness. all I have left is to remove the hatch and make the final cut across the top. It should come right off unless I missed some inner connection.

I used a saws-all with 8" metal cutting blades and a small grinder with 4" cutting wheels.

Here's what I have to replace on the 87 Turbo.

The 87 NA donor car

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
    1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
    1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Re: Quarter panel removal and replacement

This should be interesting.

Comment

I hate body work. Really hate it. But I want to see what happens.
      BLOZ UP.com
      It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

Cant wait to see this, My 86 also has qrt panel damage but on the passenger side. Hope all goes well.
        My S30

MY BLOG:http://alexdatsun.wordpress.com/

Comment

I made a few more cuts and pulled the entire quarter off. The body shop will trim it the way they want. He said for me to just cut the whole corner off even though they don't need that much. It's easier to handle and this way they can use a template to match the cutting.

I'll probably cut the other side off too. Z-karma might need it for the Shiro I sold him.

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

Shouldn't you have done some sort of bracing before cutting it up?

1988 300zxt. gt35, stance, etc. Wheels: Varrstoen ES2 18x9.5 et-13 225/40. 18x10.5 et0 245/40
            1990 jetta vr6'd

Comment

Brace what? I'll put a 2X4 between the top and the cubby spot when I cut the other side off. I don't care if the rest of it fall apart, I got what I wanted for my $50. I'll pull the rear suspension assembly drive line out, pull the doors, t-tops and strip the engine compartment and haul it off.

The quarter came off clean. I saved a few small cuts on top and in the door jam to hold it while I cut the rest.

I leaned against it while I did the top cut last and the piece just lifted out of place

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

This is really going to be good. I'll be watching and good luck.

Comment

I agree, this is great stuff. Good documentation to point people to. Unibody repair is a bitch and a half.

Comment

I will have to do this to the z I'm about to pick up. I'm not looking forward to it. But I want a z again.

Comment

Robyr wrote: I agree, this is great stuff. Good documentation to point people to. Unibody repair is a bitch and a half.
                      Most people have to do different repair work though...

- VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

[quote]michaelp wrote:
                        Originally posted by Robyr
                        I agree, this is great stuff. Good documentation to point people to. Unibody repair is a bitch and a half.

Yeah, I don't envy you at all. My 86 is still (crosses fingers) rust free. Gotta love South Carolina 8)

Comment

[quote]michaelp wrote:

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/ ... NY0404.jpg
                          That has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do. It is an example of the more common wheel well and lower rear quarter rust repair. This type of repair is well documented and commonly done.

I have not seen to many documented examples of the type of quarter panel replacement I hope to accomplish with this car.

Post one if you can find one. I'd like to see how someone else has done it.

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

[quote]reddzx wrote: [quote=michaelp]

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/ ... NY0404.jpg

That has nothing to do with what I'm trying to do. It is an example of the more common wheel well and lower rear quarter rust repair. This type of repair is well documented and commonly done.

I have not seen to many documented examples of the type of quarter panel replacement I hope to accomplish with this car.

Post one if you can find one. I'd like to see how someone else has done it.
                            Not the entire quarter, no. But I once cut 2 quarter panels off a car at a junkyard with a chisel and a hammer. The ENTIRE quarter panel, which we then used pieces of it to fix that car. I'll be patching in part of my quarter too to fix the dent, but not the whole thing like you. Good luck
                            - VG30DET (HE341) 86 300ZX - 1982 280ZX Turbo - Headered NA 1986 300ZX 2+2 - 2000 Xterra -

Comment

I don't think that the entire piece I cut out will be used. I just did it to give the body man the option of cutting out his own usable section.

1991 Hard-body 2WD

Comment

Working...
                              X