No announcement yet.

*PLEASE READ*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. I do plan on donating via Paypal, but was just curious about this -

Our valued Corporate sponsors:
    (For information on corporate sponsorship, please check the web forum)
    Chicks dig me, rust fears me.

Comment

PLEASE NOTE: There may be momentary lapses in forum accessibility as I make some modifications.

Say goodbye to the spammers!

Search is now enabled. You can only search once every 20 seconds. I am monitoring the load statistics and will compare to yesterday (without search).

zachary.ard wrote:
      Thanks guys. I do plan on donating via Paypal, but was just curious about this -

Our valued Corporate sponsors:
      (For information on corporate sponsorship, please check the web forum)
      Hello! Contact me if you have/are a business that is interested in sponsoring the forum. Sponsorship is yearly and is VERY reasonable. For now, forum sponsorship includes a banner on the main page and a special rank. It may eventually (in the future) include a banner ad displayed at the bottom of the page, but that is still undecided.

Comment

Yeaaaaaaaaa Ahaaaaaaaaaa! "search_id=newposts" is back.

Comment

z31performance is set as my home page. I often leave my web browser open for long periods of time while logged into the forum. Is this something that bogs things down? I have no idea how this shit works. If it would help to stop doing that please let me know.

Comment

Your hard core is z31p is your home page. Nice work
            86na - BlueZ
            Shiro #366 - Kouki Monster
            85t - Mr Tickles

Comment

It's my home page as well. There is a shitload of amazingly great information on this forum.
              88 N/A 300zx (Slow....)

Comment

THANK YOU Jason. This site has become invaluable to me now that I have begun doing all my own work on my Z. If it ever comes down to it- I would be willing to pay fees to use it. Thanks again man for the hard work. Jeff Z. in SC
                Everything is Meaningless.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: 4. Doing a lot of things at once, like opening new threads/searches in different windows before others have completed. please avoid doing this.
                  That is me right there. I didn't realize that it made a difference if you did them in sequence or all at once.
                  Feedback- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19840

Comment

[quote]floridaZ wrote:
                    Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                    4. Doing a lot of things at once, like opening new threads/searches in different windows before others have completed. please avoid doing this.That is me right there. I didn't realize that it made a difference if you did them in sequence or all at once.
                    Well, anytime you click on a link, refresh the page, etc. your sending a request to the server. Each request must be processed and executed and then transmitted to the host machine. Some of these requests require more from the cpu such as the search feature. People often don't realize that the "view new posts", "view your posts", etc. use the search engine on the server. Even clicking the members link at the top uses the engine to pull the database of users.
                    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Chris86NA2T wrote: z31performance is set as my home page. I often leave my web browser open for long periods of time while logged into the forum. Is this something that bogs things down? I have no idea how this shit works. If it would help to stop doing that please let me know.
                      Nope, that's not really an issue. I guess the simplest way to explain is that load is incurred whenever you click and your browser loads something. This is especially true of anything that uses the search feature, as it combs through a section of the DB indexes looking for specific information.

FlawleZ's explaination above is very much correct. Unfortunately part of this issue is that SQL queries appear to run in realtime, which means that multiple queries get stacked into a queue. When someone on the server (me, or other people like with the SQL errors less than an hour ago) run a script that generates a big string of queries from the DB, it clogs up the CPU for a period of time and nothing else can be done on the server until it works its way through the queue. I know there are some number of ways out there to allow prioritization of these individual queries (so one script cannot hog the entire cpu, the processing is shared), but I don't know the rest of the details, don't own the box, and I'm also not about to tell the hosting company what to do when they have been so (relatively) accommodating already.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                        Originally posted by Chris86NA2T
                        z31performance is set as my home page. I often leave my web browser open for long periods of time while logged into the forum. Is this something that bogs things down? I have no idea how this shit works. If it would help to stop doing that please let me know.
                        Nope, that's not really an issue. I guess the simplest way to explain is that load is incurred whenever you click and your browser loads something. This is especially true of anything that uses the search feature, as it combs through a section of the DB indexes looking for specific information.

FlawleZ's explaination above is very much correct. Unfortunately part of this issue is that SQL queries appear to run in realtime, which means that multiple queries get stacked into a queue. When someone on the server (me, or other people like with the SQL errors less than an hour ago) run a script that generates a big string of queries from the DB, it clogs up the CPU for a period of time and nothing else can be done on the server until it works its way through the queue. I know there are some number of ways out there to allow prioritization of these individual queries (so one script cannot hog the entire cpu, the processing is shared), but I don't know the rest of the details, don't own the box, and I'm also not about to tell the hosting company what to do when they have been so (relatively) accommodating already.
                        I find this whole thing to be quite odd...
                        We have a 10GB SQL database for a massive product catalog, and the main server doing all the work is a ten year old, dual CPU Pentium 3 933mhz machines with 2GB of single channel, single datarate SDRAM. We have over 300 employees' client PCs constantly making queries, searching the DB, modifying entries, etc, all day long. The business depends on the database running. The same server is also an active directory domain controller hosting roaming windows profiles, functions as a DNS server, and has routing and remote access enabled to control IP traffic to a private internal network.

It seems odd to me that I can do so much with a 10 year old server and it doesn't even give hints of complaining about it, yet this forum with a relatively tiny SQL database size and probably relatively moderate traffic should be so crippling. The problem must be with bots or other software on the forums. Do you have any programs running that constantly monitor your SEO rankings, back links, google optimizations, and stuff like that? I've heard of those types of tools causing problems like this..

Are they sure they can definitively link the resource hogging to the thread/s running this board?
                        1985 300ZX N/A -- Schneider Racing Cams + Valve Springs - U/R Underdrive Pulley - Ported/Polished Heads -
                        MSA Headers - MGP Intake Manifold - K&N Air Filter - Electric Cooling Fan -

Comment

my computer picked up 2 Trojan viruses when I was looking in the Z31 turbo modifications FAQ and The truth about Ebay turbochargers. I only had one page up at a time and I had my virus software notify me of a virus each time.
                          Originally posted by TearingRaven
                          Honestly, if you have to ask this question and common sense does not kick in immediately, you need to be riding the bus. Preferably while wearing a helmet.

Comment

Working...
                          X