No announcement yet.

internal questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First I must say thank you for addressing me as if I where an idiot. Second I understand the difference in Cr and could see the difference in the 7:1 and 7.3:1. i would like to see full bosst pretty early like at 3500 I think is pretty early maybe 3000 would be good to get a good power band from 3000 to 7000 rpm which would also give an awesome amount of low end torque. I would like to run the turbo at 20-25 psi (is this to high?). I was thinking about the Holset HY35/HX35 or the Garett Gt35.(sp)
    thanks

Comment

fast300zx wrote: First I must say thank you for addressing me as if I where an idiot. Second I understand the difference in Cr and could see the difference in the 7:1 and 7.3:1. i would like to see full bosst pretty early like at 3500 I think is pretty early maybe 3000 would be good to get a good power band from 3000 to 7000 rpm which would also give an awesome amount of low end torque. I would like to run the turbo at 20-25 psi (is this to high?). I was thinking about the Holset HY35/HX35 or the Garett Gt35.(sp)
      thanks

The amounts of Boost pressure to be ran depends on the Turbo so dont even worry about that
      The Holset will definitly not flow enough to support 600HP, The GT35 will really be getting out of its efficency range.
      No Turbo that will support Efficently support 600HP will spool by 3000RPM on the VG30
      If I were shooting for a 600HP goal and wanted the Quickest possible spool time I would look into the GT4088
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

14.Ap English during my entire high school career. Can you say that.

...wow.. couldn't pass it the first three times? I would have ended the second sentence with a "?"... but ya know, I didn't have four years of AP english.. so what would I know?
        vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
        2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

fast300zx wrote: First I must say thank you for addressing me as if I where an idiot. Second I understand the difference in Cr and could see the difference in the 7:1 and 7.3:1. i would like to see full bosst pretty early like at 3500 I think is pretty early maybe 3000 would be good to get a good power band from 3000 to 7000 rpm which would also give an awesome amount of low end torque. I would like to run the turbo at 20-25 psi (is this to high?). I was thinking about the Holset HY35/HX35 or the Garett Gt35.(sp)
          thanks
          Aim for turbo spool ~4-4.5k w/ a 100shot to back it up at 2500.
          Attached Files
          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

I'd like to help you out, but it's very tough to sort through all your questions at the same time, why don't you ask about one part of the build up at a time (eg fuel/heads/pistons+rods/etc...) and then it'll be easier for us to steer you in the right direction.

There's much to be learned about turbos, but I'm glad you're trying.
            It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Haha, I missed that one. Well A gt4088 which rpm could i expect that to spool up at. The compression ratio if I am thinking correctly is that if it had a higher compression ratio then it would require less pressure therefore leading to a quicker spool time. I have only dealt with big diesel turbos that spool up at like 1,000 rpm.
              Thanks

Comment

I like grahfz's idea. When i am racing or drifting i will stay in the 4500-7000 range any how.
                thanks

When do you want it to spool? 4000k
                What rpm range do you desire this engine to operate in? 4000-7000
                What e.t. and/or class do you plan to run in? I would like to get in the 10s.
                I know little about drifting competition so I won't ask for specifics on it.
                What gear ratios and tire sizes will you be using? probably the stock 88 turbo gear. Not sure on tire size yet.
                What does the car weigh or what will it weigh when in use? Not sure I would like to get it down to about 3300-3400
                Is it auto or manual and which model of transmission is it? will be swapping in a 1988 turbo tranny, Manual.

Comment

fast300zx wrote: I like grahfz's idea. When i am racing or drifting i will stay in the 4500-7000 range any how.
                  thanks

When do you want it to spool? 4000k
                  What rpm range do you desire this engine to operate in? 4000-7000
                  What e.t. and/or class do you plan to run in? I would like to get in the 10s.
                  I know little about drifting competition so I won't ask for specifics on it.
                  What gear ratios and tire sizes will you be using? probably the stock 88 turbo gear. Not sure on tire size yet.
                  What does the car weigh or what will it weigh when in use? Not sure I would like to get it down to about 3300-3400
                  Is it auto or manual and which model of transmission is it? will be swapping in a 1988 turbo tranny, Manual.
                  Now was that so hard?

I would expect any VG30 properly built to generate 600hp is going to spin much higher than 7k. I would likely think 7200-7500 would be a conservative redline.

Now that you have supplied some of the useful information people can assess what specific products and/or specs you might be likely to need.

I do feel that a 10 second street legal Z31 is not going to drift very well. I would expect to need to yank the rear suspension and go with some rather exotic suspension components.

I'll ponder your responses and get back to you on what I think in regards to all that in the near future.
                  http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

You do know that your car already weighs less than 3400-3300lbs right now?
                    It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

[quote="Steve88tI do feel that a 10 second street legal Z31 is not going to drift very well. I would expect to need to yank the rear suspension and go with some rather exotic suspension components.

I'll ponder your responses and get back to you on what I think in regards to all that in the near future.
                      I would tend to agree. Straight line fast and autocross or highway fast are 2 different animals. Getting the best of both worlds is damn tought.
                      Just stand back and throw money.
                      Performance costs money.
                      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Yeah I know but it will be ran mostly on the strip because thats all I really have to run around here. I was planning on building the suspension so i can adjust it so that i can have a good handleing car on either. I know it cant really do both so I will be gearing it more toward drag racing. I thought the car weighed 4000 lbs.

Comment

There are plenty of places to find what the cars weighed according to Nissan. And if you want to be serious about this you will go spend $5 to weigh your car at the truck stop and have a real clue of what your car weighs.

As for an all-round suspension, you will have a LOT of work to get a Z31 even close. It is somewhat difficult to get a Z31 to have good handling characteristics and moreso to get it to work at the drag strip.
                          Attached Files
                          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

So what i can gather the gt4088 can fit in the original location. I plan on sending the heads to Jason to do a full build up on them, this includes the new springs,valves,cams,and cam gears. I think if I port the original turbo manifold I will have plenty of flow for 600 hp the same with the heads and of course the gutted intake plenum and larger TB. I was also planning on cc matching all the new pistons,matching the new rings to each cylinder for even compression. I plan on spending about 2 years on the build and several months in simple engine work to make sure it runs as smooth as possible with an 11 lbs flywheel which should help.

Comment

fast300zx wrote: So what i can gather the gt4088 can fit in the original location.
                              Since the Gt40 series only comes with T4 Turbine Housings You will need to have a T3 to T4 Adaptor Flanged machined so it could bolt to the stock Manifold. I dont know the exact dimensions of the Turbo but yes it Should fit Ill see if I can dig up something later.
                              2005 whore magnet

Comment

Ok thanks steve. Also i was reading about the vg34 and was wondering is that just a vg30et bored out.

Comment

Working...
                                X