Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few Q's: Wastegate vacuum line, alternator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few Q's: Wastegate vacuum line, alternator.

Hi Everyone.

I just bought an '86 300ZX turbo last week. Needs a little work.

Had a boost controller on it, but the previous owner took it off, so I need to connect a vacuum line back up. Just wanted to check where it goes to, as its cut off at the actuator.

I did a search and I think there should be a vacuum fitting on the compressor housing where the line connects to. Just wanted to check, as I'm more used to working on NA L series engines.

Also the Alternator was off the engine. The p.o. said it was dead. I got it out of the engine bay by dropping the sway bar.

Anybody know if the alternator of a later Z32 will do?

I have a feeling it will be easier to find a Z32 one with all the import engines around. The p.o. lost the bolts and the sliding bracket thingy. So if anyone in Australia has a spare one, or knows if the Z32 ones are useable.

Looking forward to getting this thing running

Thanks.

this really belongs in the n00bish section

but explore the option of early 90's maxima alternator and bracketry, perhaps download the fsm for your year from my site (carfish) or one of the others if they are up

turbos have a vacuum line to get the wastegate actuating yes.. it would be pretty obvious present or absent
    Attached Files

Comment

duh

G-E wrote: but explore the option of early 90's maxima alternator and bracketry, perhaps download the fsm for your year from my site (carfish) or one of the others if they are up
      Thanks, but Maximas are virtually non existant in Australia, but we have bucketloads of Z32's

G-E wrote:
      turbos have a vacuum line to get the wastegate actuating yes.. it would be pretty obvious present or absent
      Yes the vacuum line is gone, that why I was checking where is supposed to connect to so i can replace it.

Comment

Welcome 240zed.
        There shoud be two vac sources on the compressor that will join
        together and from there go directly to the actuator.
        I cant say with 100% certanty that a z32 alt. cannot be made to work,
        but I highly doubt it considering it hasn't been done, and we happen
        to be very imaginative around here.
        If you can find a 91 maxima alt. it is nearly identical to that of a z31,
        but with 90amps vs. the Zs 70 amps.

Dont get wind up over the noob thing, we all were once.
        This is a perfomance orientated site.If you scroll through the engine
        forum you will see what it is reserved for.
        imagination is a virtue

Comment

This should help a bit:

Then that connects to the actuator. (ignore the blue arrow, it's not my pic.)

Also, you can order an alternator on-line.
          http://www.rockauto.com for instance.
          Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
          1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
          2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Thanks for the Pic, and the help guys.

The Car has had an Alternator conversion. The Alt I pulled out was only a 60 Amp one. Looks like an alt from a 910 bluebird.

Comment

Working...
            X