A Few Upgrades Here and There

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Few Upgrades Here and There

i was talking with a fellow co-worker who's got quite a reputable history with cars, (i.e worked with the Ferrari racing team on Formula 1) about the head work i was planning on doing with my VG30ET. we discussed about the porting the intake and exhaust ports to match the intake manifold, and exhaust manifold ports and the power gains from it. he mentioned not getting more than 20 hp from that with even a valve job, etc. what he did mention was porting my exhaust manifold out so i could push more air to the turbo creating more air and faster spool from the stock T3. i can't help agree, but again my knowledge isn't as outstanding as some. he also mentioned hooking my MAF sensor up to a machine hes got that can adjust my A/F ratio to make "oodles of power" as he said. i wanted to run this by a few of the Z Experts here at Z31 Performance to see if that's possible with all the above listed to gain around 20-50 hp through a valve job, port matching the ports on both intake and exhaust sides of the heads, and porting my exhaust manifold to flow more air? i'm sure with all that and proper tuning via EManage or something along those lines that's possible, but i'm just guesstimating. thanks.
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Morgenstern wrote: i was talking with a fellow co-worker who's got quite a reputable history with cars, (i.e worked with the Ferrari racing team on Formula 1) about the head work i was planning on doing with my VG30ET. we discussed about the porting the intake and exhaust ports to match the intake manifold, and exhaust manifold ports and the power gains from it. he mentioned not getting more than 20 hp from that with even a valve job, etc. what he did mention was porting my exhaust manifold out so i could push more air to the turbo creating more air and faster spool from the stock T3. i can't help agree, but again my knowledge isn't as outstanding as some. he also mentioned hooking my MAF sensor up to a machine hes got that can adjust my A/F ratio to make "oodles of power" as he said. i wanted to run this by a few of the Z Experts here at Z31 Performance to see if that's possible with all the above listed to gain around 20-50 hp through a valve job, port matching the ports on both intake and exhaust sides of the heads, and porting my exhaust manifold to flow more air? i'm sure with all that and proper tuning via EManage or something along those lines that's possible, but i'm just guesstimating. thanks.
    I'm not going to say the guy doesnt know what he is talking about. He is probably right. ON A STOCK CAR if you were to port match everything and do a valve job you MIGHT see 20whp MAYBE. but porting out the manifolds wont do anything for you YET. because the stock turbo is too small to benifit from doing that. It spools almost instantly as it is. As you build your car more and more the gains of each mod increase more and more. say on a stock z31 turbo porting and a valve job may get you 15-20 whp but on a highly modded z the same port job and valve job could get you say 40whp. the more work you do to the block and heads the more air you are capable of flowing benifiting later on when you can actually flow that much with a different turbo and fuel to match.

As for jacking with the afm, this wont do shit for you unless you are changing the injectors and changing/jacking with other stuff too.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

that's what i was thinking as well, i mean there's only so much you can drain from the stock injectors and fuel pump. let alone the fact that at 10 psi, raising the fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, and advancing the distributor timing a smidget, you don't see much power gains until you start making BIG changes. of course again, this guy used to be a tech for Ferrari so i don't know what sort of tricks he's got up his sleeve. :shock:
      1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
      Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

you do realize that being on the ferrari team doesn't necessarily mean he's qualified to tune Z. That would be like me saying that I work on jet fighters, therefore I'm qualified to do turbo work. I'm not saying that he doesn't know his shit, I'm saying that the application is completely different. I'd take Jason's word over ferrari guy for that reason alone.
        Funny stories!

Comment

well of course i'm not going to put any individual at a lesser pedelstool 'cause of the fact that person A works on Z's and person B doesn't. i'm interested to see what he can do because of his mindset, that being he builds Formula GT motors for Ferrari (or used to). his basic idea of what to do to a motor is in check, but his tuning as far as the Z's concerned may be somewhat limited but his theory might upbring some new source of tuning. never hurts to try, so i'll check and see what happens based on his "tuning" through his little computer. i do agree with Homestar, but at the same time his principals are in the right mindset...but that doesn't qualify him to tune a Z. but it's just a Z, a standard 3.0 V6...i mean the guy built and tuned super high-compression motors for Formula GT, so i'm sure he can handle tuning a Nissan VG30ET.
          1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

Morgenstern wrote: well of course i'm not going to put any individual at a lesser pedelstool 'cause of the fact that person A works on Z's and person B doesn't. i'm interested to see what he can do because of his mindset, that being he builds Formula GT motors for Ferrari (or used to). his basic idea of what to do to a motor is in check, but his tuning as far as the Z's concerned may be somewhat limited but his theory might upbring some new source of tuning. never hurts to try, so i'll check and see what happens based on his "tuning" through his little computer. i do agree with Homestar, but at the same time his principals are in the right mindset...but that doesn't qualify him to tune a Z. but it's just a Z, a standard 3.0 V6...i mean the guy built and tuned super high-compression motors for Formula GT, so i'm sure he can handle tuning a Nissan VG30ET.
            Uhm...You'd be a helluva Brainiac to get this "Ferrari Guy" hooked up to this forum and redz31.com before he gets into trouble or re-invents the wheel.
            Theory and reality are two entirely different things. There are alot of obstacles that have already been overcome and the information any "tuner" would need is able to be found primarily here and on Jasons site for pumping up these cars. If/when this guy sees these things regarding the programming and components limits...He'll have a ball.
            Dan 8)
            I am here to help...

Comment

I wouldn't let anyone touch my car that says he can give me more power by hooking a computer to my MAF.
              1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

lol, i can understand the concern...luckily i've got a couple spare MAFs layin' around from a pick'n'pull at a local junk yard. so if anything gets fucked up with the MAF i'm completely in the safe zone. aside from the fact that i've got spare blocks, heads, rings, etc. at a buddies house from a previous motor. i'm a very exploritive person, and stupid things catch my interest, like the claimed MAF mod this guy can do.
                1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo

Comment

my initial response would be "ferraris aren't turbo"

but it is equally important that ferrari uses more cylinders than we do, if each cylinder and port is proportionally smaller, any gains seen by tweaking will be smaller per port... and by that logic half the cylinders would equal half the gain

except that isn't true at all, the torque curves are entirely different, and you want them to be.... on a turbo car the raw engine torque should help augment the extra torque provided by the turbo, lead off with grunt transitioning into top end boost....

the precise matching of power output and delivery will be as much a design choice for driving style, as well as intended application; street racing vs. auto-x vs. endurance.... a person might want a flat torque curve, or great top end, and everything will be a compromise to reach it

Comment

wow

To Morgenstern:

Thanks for thinking different than anyone else. I respect this guys because in a month i have learned a lot about my vg. Please let us know what happens. This norms around here are great but to continue our sport we much try new things.

Comment

Working...
                    X