Removing carbon (charcoal) canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing carbon (charcoal) canister

After removing carbon canister I plug up the 3 hoses (turbo s-pipe, throttle, intake manifold), is that going to effect passing emission?

Also, I just let the fuel vapor line dangling in engine bay. Is it better to plug it up or extend the hose to outside engine bay?
    Matte Black 86T - Sold

Yes, cap those lines.
    You'll want to vent that hardline outside of the engine bay(for safety sake) and you'll want to locate it where it won't get crud in it to plug it up.
    (I have seen some people run it into the frame rail,which I think is foolish)

The emissions evap. canister is a safety std. for vehicles produced. It merely is pulling the vapor from the fuel tank and burning it off, rather than let it linger outside the car or around the engine where it could spark up a flame in an extreme instance.

*you will notice a gasoline smell, it will make you think you have a fuel leak at times.
    I am here to help...

Comment

I ran mine thru the framerail and into the wheelwell.
      i got a fuel smell when my tank hit about 1/4 full.
      I've since re-installed the carbon canister with the tank vent hooked up.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Hey and then when you remove it Niel86T is looking for one in the classifieds too!
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Z_Karma wrote: I ran mine thru the framerail and into the wheelwell.
          So you only hook up the fuel vapor line and still remove the other 3?
          Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

SATAN wrote: Hey and then when you remove it Niel86T is looking for one in the classifieds too!
            Yeah if you are selling it I need one in good condition!
            Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
            1986 300zx Turbo
            2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
            1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

just a thought here...I was planning to remove my canister on my NA as well:

To avoid the smell and hazard why not just T a vac line into the intake before the AFM and the downsides of the removal are gone.

Another thought: doesn't the canister vent its gasses into the intake piping just after the AFM? Ive never dissected a canister but that is how it appears to me. If so then perhaps the unmetered air isn't a concern?

Both of my thoughts above assume that pulling a vac on the vent line running to the tank wont allow for fuel to actually be sucked up through the line. Am I thinking of this whole thing wrong?
              Just stand back and throw money.
              Performance costs money.
              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

the evap canister IS an emissions control device, those fuel vapors are hydrocarbons going into the atmosphere, that's why it's there, to send the vapor to be burrrrnneedd in the engine and have to pass thru the cat

Comment

I have been thinking of routing into the turbo S pipe. (mine is currently just hanging in fender)

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

is this something they specifically look for with emissions? (non-cali)

I would assume so, just curious.
                    Daily:
                    09 2.5SL Altima Grey
                    08 4.0SE Pathfinder 4x4 Grey
                    11 Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
                    Z31s:
                    88t Grey
                    86t Pewter

Comment

It all depends on how your emmissions testing is done.

If its done on an IM-240 based test, you will fail if you remove the charcoal canister and dont find a way to route the fumes into the intake. IM-240 measure evaporitive emissions as well as tailpipe emmissions.

I believe BAR-90 is tailpipe emissions only.

With a fuel cell, the vent line is run off the cell and out the back of the car. If you want, next time you drop the tank, pull the vent line off the tank there and instead of running it to the front of the engine, run it out the back.

Hydrocarbon emissions from evap is usually only in the range of 20-40ppm. Definatly not at the point where is going to cause a fire. Unless ofcourse you are trapping the air somewhere and allowing the hydrocarbons to collect. No worries of fire while driving though.

You cannot just hook a vaccum line up to the tank from the intake manifold. It will pull to much vac on the tank, resulting in fuel being sucked through the vac line into the engine, or a vac being sucked in the tank and causing the tank to begin to collapse. This is more common on plastic style fuel tanks, but it can also happen on metal tanks.

Anything else you wanna know about evap emmissions..LOL.
                      ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

nope, that's pretty much what I was getting at, except you've been thru driveability and emissions and I haven't so you can explain it better haha

Comment

Actually most of your emissions specific stuff will come from course 26 which is Advanced diagnostics. Dont ask me why.

UTJON...Do you know what form of testing they do for emissions around you. OR could you describe the procedure possibly. Then I will be able to tell you if removing the canister will effect your emissions.
                          ""You gota watch out in this weather. Its when them white boys with their turbos come out to play" Mr. Rimpson - UTI Instructor, refering to a slightly damp 50 degree day.

Comment

[quote]simply86T wrote:
                            Originally posted by Z_Karma
                            I ran mine thru the framerail and into the wheelwell.
                            So you only hook up the fuel vapor line and still remove the other 3?

No the Purge line is still connected, and the one going to the TB, the 3rd one is disconnected though.
                            My reason for removing it was to get a fresh air intake behind the passenger headlight, so i needed the space.
                            I had thought about using a smaller canister out of a newer nissan sentra (or similar) and going that route.
                            I just slapped mine back on because i was getting tired of the stray fuel fumes.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

RE: Fuel tank vent line.

Use a small inline fuel filter (the kind on carbureted cars) on the end of the hose. Zip tie it to the frame or tow hook pointing down. This keeps dirt and moisture out of it while minimizing the smell of fuel. As a matter of fact, I never smelt anything with mine like that. The filters are like $2.

Comment

Working...
                              X