are high 14s with an n/a Z easily achieved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are high 14s with an n/a Z easily achieved

i have an 87 z31 2 seater n/a and i wanted to make it a semifast daily driver preferibly high to mid 14s in the 1/4. Do i have to go turbo or has anyone done this with n/a ( i have an extremely limited budget). what kind of numbers are common for a modded n/a without going too crazy
    grabbin gears

here's a quick way

http://www.holley.com/05204NOS.asp

boost. does a body good!

Comment

Nitrous other wise your dropping too much money if you want to make it fast. They are good for handling if you put money into them but if you dont turbo they dont get very fast.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

i dont really want nitrous either, what i am really curious about is the power made from an na with all of the common cheap bolt ons, i realize this way i wont run 14s, but until i can afford to go turbo i wanna know how fast it will be with things like intake, pathy plentum/throttle body, plentum spacer, headers(if made for n/a not that i could afford em anyway) no exhaust restriction, larger injectors fuel rail, all the small crap. although i doubt these things would really make a diference with an n/a setup
        grabbin gears

Comment

everything you just said would help some except bigger injectors/rails. a dynotune will probably make the most power for you.

but unless you build the SHIT out of the VG for NA, you're not going very fast, at all.

Comment

grabbin gears wrote: i have an 87 z31 2 seater n/a and i wanted to make it a semifast daily driver preferibly high to mid 14s in the 1/4. Do i have to go turbo or has anyone done this with n/a ( i have an extremely limited budget). what kind of numbers are common for a modded n/a without going too crazy
            looking for speed on a limited budget = turbo swap. It will be more expensive to get those times with an NA than it will to just do a turbo swap with a boost controller.
            1985 NA2T(now RB) * 1988 SS x2 * 1984 AE x3 * 2006 350Z

Comment

going to a turbo is going to be your least expensive route.

i was trying to stay NA as well. but after researching i've decided to go Turbo.

i got almost all the parts for $200.00. then only part i didn't get was the crossmember and computer. and then i spent another $77 rebuilding the T3 turbo myself. i'm going to get the injectors cleaned and balanced~ $120. and then i'll intercool it somehow, and i need to get a boost gauge, manual boost controller and the computer chipped for the turbo.

i estimate i'll have 5-600 in it. not to bad for adding 50-75 hp and a lot more torque.

Comment

yea after researching further i realize that to get any more power out of an n/a you would need to get into some serious science oh well guess ill spring for the turbo conversion. with the directions on this site it would seem idoit proof too, i dont think ill have a problem once i have everything. i was also hoping i could find someone who already did the finding and simply buy everything necissary for conversion at once but i dont think this will happen either. anyone know of a junkyard somewhere near PA that would have an old rust buckett that i could just snatch everything off of
                grabbin gears

Comment

wait you can configure the stock n/a ecu for turbo
                  grabbin gears

Comment

you really need a turbo ecu, it might be able to be done though, i know someone playing with the early ecus with some success. and jfyi, a bone stock turbo swap at stock boost on a n/a motor is ~ 183hp. 10-15 more than a stock turbo. but where the fun is is down low, high compression + boost= winning combination.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
                    good thing....

Comment

i have an 88 NA ecu. grafz said if i pull my chip he will send me a replacement chip with the 88 fuel and spark maps for a turbo. and then when nistune comes out, i'll do the tuning the right way.

grabbin gears wrote: wait you can configure the stock n/a ecu for turbo

Comment

cams + cam gears + ecu retune (nistune/romulator/etc) .... maybe

but a good thing about it would be is that none of it is wasted if you turbo it

Comment

G-E wrote: cams + cam gears + ecu retune (nistune/romulator/etc) .... maybe

but a good thing about it would be is that none of it is wasted if you turbo it
                          I am finally happy to see that someone other than me has said it. Thanks GE. 8)

BIG power from an NA just isn't realistic, and even moderate power, say 225... takes a lot of $$ and a hell of a lot of work. There are a couple of us bastard children that are doing it but...95% of the work and $ that went into building our NAs will be very complimentary to adding a turbo if we wish to go that route in the future. The NA decision isn't popular but for some it is an adventure. :twisted:

I can only think of 2 things of the MANY upgrades I have done that wont translate to a turbo install. My long arm NA headers and my intake piping. At least I could reuse most of the intake materials. And if I ever did a turbo conversion I would pay the premium for custom headers anyhow. :shock:

Turbo or NA...pick your poison. Either way is expensive if you do it RIGHT.

Show them my motto...
                          Just stand back and throw money.
                          Performance costs money.
                          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

if i throw a pathfinder plentum ,throttle body,maxima dist cap on will the position of the turbo be the same, will i have to modify the intake setup further then to fit the stock turbo into position with the elbow
                            grabbin gears

Comment

if you have the space to do it, buying a whole turbo Z from the junkyard is highly advised. MUCH more cost efficient.
                              Lance 'never-ending 88na2t project' Landry
                              I sell Z stuff when I'm not being lazy.
                              Trace cell phones via GPS: http://www.phonetrace.org

Comment

Working...
                              X