Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOV Volume/Sound.

I don't like BOV's...
    At least the sound they make. Sorry, but I'm not a fan announcing to the world that my car is boosting. Especially if a cop is around. That and the noise is just annoying. Just riding in my buddies DSM for 15 mins makes me want to blow my brains out. He's not even boosting much or getting into the RPM's and that damn thing is going PISSSHHHAA PISHH PISSHH PISHAAAA. Well it drives me nuts :evil:
    Yes I know you can adjust the spring tension on some BOV's so they're not going off at the lightest amount of pressure. I'd still prefer to just not have the damn noise period.

Now on to my question...
    I know a recirc setup (what I'm currently running) is nice and quiet.
    But a recirc can't evacuate excess air as quickly as an open dump can. I'm not going to be pushing that much air to really need to worry about it. But it's just a point.
    Second reason for my concern is because of my planned Intake setup. Filter on turbo inlet) There isn't really going to be a place to recirculate to anymore.

So other than putting a muffler of sorts on a BOV. What are the best quality and most importantly the quietest BOV's out there?

I would think that a recirc valve venting to open atmosphere would not vent as much as the same valve venting to before the turbo.

If you vent to the open air you are venting to atmospheric pressure. If you vent to before the turbo you are venting to a vacume wich would help more. As long as your plumbing going to the intake is good.

To answer you question, I would think the only thing you could do would be to put a silencer on it similar to one you would put on a barrel of a gun or pip it into a box or bottle or somthing that has a hole in the other side. Ya know somthing along those lines. Lot of extra crap tho just to loose the noise.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Or, just limit the vaccum to your BOV. But then you run into the not being able to vent enough pressure

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Just don't put the filter directly on the turbo and run a fairly long tube to recirculate it before the turbo. Besides, bringing in cooler air raises detonation resistance and generaly makes more power.

BTW, stock DSM BOVs arent' that loud unless there crushed or venting to atmosphere.

Comment

I'm running a stock DSM recirc and it's whisper quiet.
          My buddies tried both the HKS SSQ and some Apex-i BOV on his DSM and both of them annoyed the hell outta me.

Comment

Recirculated or vented? The HKS is going to be loud, I think everyone of them I've ever see is pretty loud.

Comment

I'm running recirculated. He's running open dump.

Comment

Open's always going to be loud. Why not just stay with the current recic setup then?

Comment

Some BOVs you can get have an optional plumb back fitting so you can convert it to silent aswell as venting whenever you want. But by that description your friends BOV doesnt sound like it's adjusted right, mine has a nut you turn which stiffens up the spring so it only fully vents when releasing at WOT but others dont have any adjustment at all though. If you want to get extreme some even have in-car adjustable loudness controls, but that is getting a bit ricey for my liking lol
                  http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Freakin subarus around here have there BOV's to go off at extremely low boost levels. So annoying.

Since i don't have the right attachment for the second chamber my BOV just shudders and that is it. No matter what the boost.

Comment

I say just go NA if you dont like the sound, problem solved

Comment

Z31SPL wrote: I say just go NA if you dont like the sound, problem solved
                        That solves his question...

Comment

I am running a TurboXS Type H BOV and it is quite loud. And TurboXS makes a Type H RFL (Really Freaking Loud)...I couldn't imagine the noise that would make.

I too have heard the knuckleheads that have the spring from a ball point pen in their BOV and they rev to 1100rpm and it blows off. I am looking at going with a Biltz or recirculate back into my I/C just to get away from the cop attractor.

Comment

haha, the cops hear mine, and look at the nearest honda :lol:

Comment

My Apexi Twin Chamber is down right quiet on the largest hole setting. It just makes a low-pitched whoosh sound at low boost, and a slightly louder sound at higher boost (20+PSI) Pitch is about like a truck's parking brake but not as loud. I have had 2 or 3 people ask em after riding in my car why they didn't hear a blowoff valve. I guess people are just too used to RFL type valves designed to make tons of noise.

Comment

Working...
                              X