Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engines being pulled for other work, worth freshening it up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engines being pulled for other work, worth freshening it up?

I'm pulling the engine and trans out my car to give the engine bay a respray and general tidy up/repairwork. Is it worth freshening up the engine while it's out.

It has 160 000 miles on it but still seems to be pretty strong(well it will be when I replace the cat converter). Should I just bite the bullet and rebuild the thing, only planning on 10psi boost on the stock T3 or I need not worry even with the mileage being up high.

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone

Re: Engines being pulled for other work, worth freshening it

zed-031 wrote: I'm pulling the engine and trans out my car to give the engine bay a respray and general tidy up/repairwork. Is it worth freshening up the engine while it's out.

It has 160 000 miles on it but still seems to be pretty strong(well it will be when I replace the cat converter). Should I just bite the bullet and rebuild the thing, only planning on 10psi boost on the stock T3 or I need not worry even with the mileage being up high.

Cheers and Merry Christmas everyone
    If it runs fine and has good compression, leave it unless you have the money to drop on it. A fresh motor is nice, but that money can be spent elsewhere. Even when run hard, these motors easily last over 200k miles, and 300k is not uncommon.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

A compression test and a leakdown test will tell you.

Timming belt, seals, CHTS and water pump will be good idea to change if not recently done.
      imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote: A compression test and a leakdown test will tell you.

Timming belt, seals, CHTS and water pump will be good idea to change if not recently done.
        I agree, do the stuff that is normall hard to get to.

Also, if you are going to rebuild your engine you might as well do it with good stuff like better pistons and crap instead of just rebuilding the OEM stuff.

But yes, do a compression test and a leak down test.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: I agree, do the stuff that is normally hard to get to.

Also, if you are going to rebuild your engine you might as well do it with good stuff like better pistons and crap instead of just rebuilding the OEM stuff.
          why? i can understand forged pistons for higher boost applications, but for a stock T3..?

you havent said if this is a turbo conversion on a NA motor or what, but if your car started life as a turbo model remember the pressure and wear on the engine components is increased X-fold, even with meticulous matinence

Vote; refresh all bearings, gaskets, seals.. you know, the works. better now than a single worn component you skimped on causing an engine failure after all the time/money into your project

Comment

88sinZ wrote: you havent said if this is a turbo conversion on a NA motor or what, but if your car started life as a turbo model remember the pressure and wear on the engine components is increased X-fold, even with meticulous matinence
            not really, the power difference is minimal for a stock vg, the trans on the other hand...
            Attached Files

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
              Originally posted by 88sinZ
              you havent said if this is a turbo conversion on a NA motor or what, but if your car started life as a turbo model remember the pressure and wear on the engine components is increased X-fold, even with meticulous matinence
              not really, the power difference is minimal for a stock vg, the trans on the other hand...
              Manual conversion getting done while rngine is out. It's a stock turbo motor.

Comment

[quote]88sinZ wrote:
                Originally posted by SATAN
                I agree, do the stuff that is normally hard to get to.

why? i can understand forged pistons for higher boost applications, but for a stock T3..?
                Yeah I guess I could understand IF he stays with the stock turbo. I was just thinking ahead is all. Lots of people who have turned up the boost on the z31 soon want more and if you are going to have the engine apart anyways... Meh whatever, guess i'm just looking TOO deep into it. How many people actually build these engines anyways.
                85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Lots of people who have turned up the boost on the z31 soon want more and if you are going to have the engine apart anyways...

How many people actually build these engines anyways.
                  hear ya bro 8)

p.s. ill show ya what stock components can handle, check my project 88 thread on 88hybrid.com (z31 bull sheet), if my OEM 9.0comp pistons fail look for a 3.3 in the works next winter!

Comment

[quote]G-E wrote:
                    88sinZ wrote:

Vote; refresh all bearings, gaskets, seals.. you know, the works. better now than a single worn component you skimped on causing an engine failure after all the time/money into your project

Comment

Working...
                    X