Problem with throwout bearing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with throwout bearing...

The throw out bearing included in the clutch does't seam to be right. It fits up against the pressure plate fine, but it's far to large for the input shaft. Input shafts seams to be 33mm, and the bearing is far too large. Is this a known problem or am i just that lucky as to receive a rare mistake? Tomorrow i'll go to a local parts store to attempt to find something that will work. I don't need anything fancy for the stage one pressure plate, do I?
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

HUH? wait, You are going to have to elaborate a little more than that.

You mean you pulled the old throw out berring off of its race or whatever( the part that hangs out around the input shaft) and now the new one wont fit on that piece?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

What part number and brand is the bearing, I can check for you.

SATAN wrote: You mean you pulled the old throw out berring off of its race or whatever( the part that hangs out around the input shaft) and now the new one wont fit on that piece?
      I call and hear that part called the clutch collar.

Comment

Whoa. so there is a spacer that the throw out bearing sits on? Maybe i should go look at the old bearing and see if I can seperate it from it's spacer or something. I never thought to look at the old one. Is that my problem? Does the bearing itself sit right on the input shaft or is there another thing it rides on?

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: Whoa. so there is a spacer that the throw out bearing sits on? Maybe i should go look at the old bearing and see if I can seperate it from it's spacer or something. I never thought to look at the old one. Is that my problem? Does the bearing itself sit right on the input shaft or is there another thing it rides on?
          Yes, go look at your old bearing and you will see the part that the clutch fork slides into that holds the actual bearing. Wait, How the hell do you have it in there if its not on that !!!!!?????
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Yes, you need to install the new bearing onto the clutch collar and that slips over the input shaft bearing retainer housing bit. They don't give you a new clutch collar with the throwout bearing, because it does not need to be replaced.

Comment

in short, i don't. I was putting in my fuel injectors today and got to lookin' at the clutch and cogbox. That's when i noticed that something was wrong with this picture. It was monthes ago when i tore it apart, so i must have forgotten seeing this missing peice. I just assumed i had the wrong bearing. Thanks guys, sorry for being a dumbass and not wondering over the the cold side of the shop for a look at the old shizm.

Comment

I'm sure you are far from the first person to make that mistake!

Comment

Working...
                X