Transmission 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission 101

i've done some discussing and i'd like to get some other opinions on an issue i've recently began to have with my transmission (atleast i'm assuming that's what it is.) recently in first gear with a sudden WOT jerk the car will pop out of gear, and i've heard it could be anything from my tranny mounts, my synchros, or my rear end. what's everyone's opinion here?
    1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
    Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

I dont know what it is but I will tell you this.

When I had my 84 turbo it one day started doing that. After a while it got to the point to where I had smack into first just to get it to stay. After a while longer it would not go into first any more at all. I dont belive it was the synchros or the rear end OR the tranny mounts since it would do it while i was just sitting and not moving at all.

Ive since ditched the whole car and now run a fs5r90 tranny with no problems in my 85 turbo.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

yeah, i'm just trying to estimate how long i've got with the tranny. unfortunatly i'm selling the 2+2 chassis in hopes of finding a coupe, or a running turbo coupe. but again, figuring out what my options are with this set-up gives me a better chance at doing a quick fix so i can sell it for a decent amount of $$$$$'s.
      1984 2+2 Conv. to Turbo
      Stock Motor w/T3 @ 9.5 psi of boost, raised fuel pressure 7 psi over stock, a tiny bit of timing advancement on the distributor and shorty intake and exhaust.

Comment

Doubt it is the tranny mounts. Not like there is a shift linkage that is pulling away

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

right... on an internal linkage trans it would most likely not be an issue...

That sounds like it could be worn back-taper on the synchronizer sleeve or dog teeth on the first speed gear. It's nothing that will cause failure, but it could hurt YOU if it pops the shifter out hard into your hand (ok, maybe it could bend the shift fork if the shift lever were to slam against something hard enough).

Comment

Morgenstern wrote: yeah, i'm just trying to estimate how long i've got with the tranny. unfortunatly i'm selling the 2+2 chassis in hopes of finding a coupe, or a running turbo coupe. but again, figuring out what my options are with this set-up gives me a better chance at doing a quick fix so i can sell it for a decent amount of $$$$$'s.
            Something internal to the tranny from a syncro to fork, but I would just pop it open and fix it. They are strong trannies and I like how they shift much better than any of the others.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
            X