VG30DE Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VG30DE Build

So I picked up a z32 N/A motor and plan on going with an all motor build. So before I start spending money and things that don't need to be done, what do you guys suggest I mod? So far I'm thinking: High Compression pistons, Boring 20 or 40 over, slightly larger injectors, lightweight flywheel mated to a stage 3 clutch, Lightened and balanced crankshaft, and shaving the heads. What else should be added to this list that I haven't thought of? Mind you, this is my first motor build and I will not be doing it alone, so if I dont understand something you mentioned just bear with me.

Thanks
    1985 300zx N/A - All Original - Red - SOLD
    1984 300zx N/A Slicktop - Paint and Interior Mods - Yellow - SOLD
    1987 Nissan Pulsar - Slammed to the Ground - Blue - Death In a Parking Lot
    2002 Kia Sedona Minivan - P.O.S.

Currently in the Market for another Z.

add 1 or 2 turbo's, in my opinion its a waste to do a NA full rebuild, but that's just me.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

onefast87 wrote: add 1 or 2 turbo's, in my opinion its a waste to do a NA full rebuild, but that's just me.
      +1

Comment

I dont want to go turbo. Ive thought about it over and over again and I came to the conclusion that I want to go all motor

Comment

kontera wrote: I dont want to go turbo. Ive thought about it over and over again and I came to the conclusion that I want to go all motor
          Do you have $20,000 to blow?
          The bullshit stops, when the GREEN light drops.

Only babies cry about the bottle.

Comment

Money is not an issue. Its simple. I do not want to go boosted. Or is that the only way you guys know how to make power? If you dont have anything to answer my question with then just dont post.

Comment

kontera wrote: Or is that the only way you guys know how to make power?

kontera wrote:
              Mind you, this is my first motor build and I will not be doing it alone, so if I dont understand something you mentioned just bear with me.

Comment

OP i lol'ed at your sig pic

Comment

Offset grind the crankshaft to reduce stroke, knife edge and polish counterweights. Better yet have a new billet crank made.
                  Titanium rods to reduce rotating assembly weight.
                  Custom pistons. 12:1 compression, specificy lightest weight possible
                  Send the cylinder heads out, have the professionally ported, digitized and then keep the file for yourself. Don't forget oversized valves, preferably in titanium with proper seats and springs.
                  Camshafts should be custom ground.
                  Staged injection with individual throttle bodies
                  Equal length tubular exhaust manifolds
                  Lightweight flywheel for triple disc clutch. Centralize as much mass as close to the centerline of the crankshaft as possible. A carbon driveshaft wouldn't hurt.
                  Dry sump lubrication system to assist with crankcase vacuum.
                  Electric water pump for drag reduction.
                  He'll run with no alternator, just buy a good battery.
                  There. NA build for you. Open the pocket book Mr. money is no issue.

Comment

i got a better idea.
                    start with a vq37. fuck all that noise. have same hp.

Comment

Careless wrote: i got a better idea.
                      start with a vq37. *beep* all that noise. have same hp.
                      Lamborghini V10

Comment

it depends.. ya want a strong motor? or ya want it to be fast? if ya want fast you wont get a vg to be fast without turbo, plain and simple. view az bums faq.. how to make a NA fast.. push it off a cliff. now there are a couple on here that have gotten over 200hp http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtop ... 13&t=16955
                        now if 200hp is your goal.. by all means go NA.. if you are trying to get over 300.. good luck.
                        i had my car NA for 12 years.. bought it back when you "couldnt" turbo an NA.. turbo'ed it last year and cant freaking believe i waited so long.

you want power.. either turbo it or buy a different engine.
                        86 NA auto 2+2 with 300k miles, now turbo with 5 speed

Comment

I doubt if you will find any very specific info on what you want because noone does it. Because to get a decent faintly affordable power to weight ratio out of that engine it must be turbo charged. If you must then do the usual - cams, valves, springs, heads, exhaust, pistons, rods, crank, balancer, flywheel and so on. There is no magic NA formula for your engine.

Comment

The thought of the n/a vg30 is depressing enough without wasting a few thousand dollars just to be disappointed when it's still half the power or a decent turbo swap with a couple more psi of boost... Face it dude, it's what they were born for. N/a vg= .75 vgt. There's the maths. And that's stock numbers baby. Shit when the old dog vg can hold 400hp, I see no point in trying any harder for something sooooo unlikely. You will hate it.
                            Someone buy my mustang so I can get another zx...

Comment

I notice most people are assuming he has a VG30E when he actually has a VG30DE...Sure it's still no match for a TT but it starts out with significantly more HP than the regular old VG30E and has more HP potential than the VG30E. It also weighs more, but eh I just figured it was worth mentioning since a few posts seem to be under the assumption it's the SOHC and not DOHC.

Comment

Working...
                              X