Analog gauge cluster swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Analog gauge cluster swap

I have an 84 non turbo analog and I like the look of the 87-89 analog speedo cluster better with the white letters. Can I just swap them out with no issues? Are all the itmes in the cluster the same?
    1984 GL NA AT Slicktop 2 Seater Analog

Items needed to swap. May be more, but I love my digital dash and won't change it to the analog version. But I am keeping my spare dash just in case.
    Items needed
    Main Instrument cluster assembly (speed-o, tach, fuel, temp and warning lights)
    and
    Cluster rear trim
    Clear plastic cover
    Cluster front trim
    Center pod cluster assembly
    Cluster/dash wiring harness
    Speedometer cable
    Analog fuel level sending unit for the year dash
    Feedback thread
    http://www.z31performance.net/showth...p?40386-sir420

The Herd
    85 z31 GLL N/A2T (7psi daily){Totaled 1-24-2012}
    85 z31 GL N/A2T slightly modified
    85 z31 GLL Turbo Kaminari converted to N/A
    85 z31 GLL Turbo (parted out)(scrapped)
    90 s13 se n/a (stock)Wife blew up the engine
    88 xj40/xj6 (stock) Yard Art
    88 Mighty Max
    99 WJ 4.7 Limited

Comment

so the harness, speedo cable and fuel sending unit are different for analog to analog from 84-86 unit to 87-89 unit? I'm not going digital to analog. Just analog to analog. I like the look of the white on black better than the orange on black. And I don't like the white gauge overlays from eBya for $25. I like the black face. Would just rather have white over black rather than orange over black.

Comment

87-89 does not have a speedo cable to the cluster.

1988 300ZX Turbo, Shiro Special #760
        1988 300ZX Turbo Automatic (wife's car)
        1991 Hard-body 2WD

http://zccw.org/zccw/?page_id=1215

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Yes it has a speedo cable that goes to a sensor on the passenger side. My 85 analog has it going to the cluster. So I would only assume you need that cable and senor.
            Feedback thread
            http://www.z31performance.net/showth...p?40386-sir420

The Herd
            85 z31 GLL N/A2T (7psi daily){Totaled 1-24-2012}
            85 z31 GL N/A2T slightly modified
            85 z31 GLL Turbo Kaminari converted to N/A
            85 z31 GLL Turbo (parted out)(scrapped)
            90 s13 se n/a (stock)Wife blew up the engine
            88 xj40/xj6 (stock) Yard Art
            88 Mighty Max
            99 WJ 4.7 Limited

Comment

So.... I've a few questions about this swap. I have an '85 2+2 with the complete digi dash, and an '85 Turbo with the analog. I would like the take the analog from the Turbo and put it in the 2+2, as the Turbo is a parts car and is getting scrapped. I have the complete dash, sending unit, speedometer cable, etc. My question is... does the automatic transmission use the same speed sensor / speedometer cable as the manual transmission? My 2+2 is manual, the Turbo is automatic. Also, can I run the auto climate control from my digi dash with the analog, or must I convert to manual climate control?
              1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

Digitals have the Speed Sensor (round thing on the passenger side) in the engine compartment, near battery iirc, at least that's what I remember from my 86.
                87-89 Analog dash have the speed sensor on the transmission, no speedo cable.

Comment

I will be eliminating the digital speed sensor, so that isn't an issue. I need to know if a manual transmission and automatic transmission share the same analog speed sensor / speedometer cable...
                  1985 300ZX Z31 2+2 VG33ET (running!)

Comment

Working...
                  X