The ideal motor swap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ideal motor swap.

i have a 1989 300zx na automatic, and whhile i love that car to pieces, i have caught the performance bug. about a year ago, i decided my goal would be to swap in the turbo motor with some heavy modifications. so i went on the hunt for a parts car, and found two. both are 85's and both are turbos. i actually have one running now, so it is no longer a parts car.

anyway, i have since been thinking. should i spend thousands of dollars swapping in an outdated stock motor, or should i get a little more crazy? i love the vg30et, it is an exellent motor for its time. however, there are some great motors out there! i have compiled a list of motors that i have considered dropping in. tell me your opinion please!

1) vg30dett

2) vg33e supercharged

3) vq35de (i really want this one!!! drool, drool :twisted: )

4) vg30et (already own it... but...)

5) chevy smallblock 350 (bleck. not really!)

ive searched the forums some, but it is hard because i have dial-up. i am a busy man and not very patient. especially when every page takes 5 min. to load! so if you would shed some light on this question that would be great. even if you know a link or something! (ive already been to zbums motor swap page. i know it can be done i just wanna know if its worth it!) i am struggling to find anyone with the 350z motor. that has won my vote so far, i just dont know if it would be worth it. my budget for the whole thing is around 10k. i could go a little over.
    "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you..."

-'68 Datsun 1600 Roadster
    Build Thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21...-build-thread/
    -'85 300zx Turbo
    Build Thread:
    http://z31performance.com/showthread...)build-thread!

If i would have the money , the tools and time, i would swap a VG30DETT Or RB25-26.

- I dont like V8 (ford/chevy etc...) maybe a VH or something else would be cool.
    - vg33e supercharged maybe it could be a good choice but i still prefer turbocharge engine.
    - vq35de ..NA.. boring ..maybe if turbocharge
    - vg30et go ahead : parts and swap is easy.

thats my opinion.

If its would worth it ... Do you think its worth it ? It is your car, your money and your time.

Good luck
    Fairlady Z 1990 2+2 Twinturbo

Comment

I would never go with a VG30DETT. Too big and there are better less expensive options readily available.

Comment

Comment

LS1 and T56. Nuff said.
          Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
          1986 300zx Turbo
          2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
          1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

^^^
            Ellis Juan!!!

I wrap my paper weights in glitter.

Comment

i think you underestimate the power potential of the VG30E in your car right now. You could get some custom tubular manifolds, get a GT35R, a nice custom intercooler setup with a full standalone, maybe mix it up with some laughing gas and have a VERY respectible VG30ET. Look at it this way, you've got an 89W series with the hig compression pistons... where's a better place to start?
              Funny stories!

Comment

not to be an asshole or anything, but, doesnt this go on the noob section?
                Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

Comment

vg33t is my first choice. A custom vg33tt would be nice if you had the budget. A vq35 would be a tough fit I would think.
                  Chuck Stong
                  300+ Parts and Performance owner
                  http://www.300-plus.com
                  2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I agree with chuck vg33t the vq would be nice but with the money you would have to put into it to make it work you could build a nice vg33t or even stick with the vg30t and go holest

Comment

You need/want/desire to have air conditioning?

If not I have an idea brewing in my head.
                      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

i have no need for air conditioning. thats where my second car comes in. why, whats your idea?

i have been talking to my mechanic, and he wants to find a vg33e supercharged and then slap a bigger turbo on and keep high compression for low rpm spool and torque. i think that would be sick,itsnot something you see everyday!

when you guys say vg33et, what was that in? ive never heard of a 3.3L turbo. i thought there was only the supercharged...

either way, im hoping to create a slight illusion of being stock. im gunna try and hide as many performance mods as i can. that way i can still fool the less obsevant. like a half sleeper. which is why i like the 3.3L. as far as i know, everything should bolt up to make it look kinda like a vg30e. i dunno, correct me if im wrong, please. (and i know some things will be harder to hide like the f.m. intercooler im planning, but i already have a plan for that. my goal is only to fool those who arent paying attention.

anyway, thanks. sorry for my really long posts! and sorry for posting in the wrong area, i wasnt sure. i usually qualify noob posts if its something like "can you put a turbo on a non-turbo" yes, you could turbo a lawnmower if you really wanted too!

oh and the 10k is for motor, tranny, and diff. nothing else. thats separate.
                        "Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you..."

-'68 Datsun 1600 Roadster
                        Build Thread: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21...-build-thread/
                        -'85 300zx Turbo
                        Build Thread:
                        http://z31performance.com/showthread...)build-thread!

Comment

When I say vg33et, I mean installing a turbo on a vg33e or vg33er which is the supercharged version. Compression ratio for the vg33e is 8.9, 8.3 for the r. If you need either motor, let me know.
                          Chuck Stong
                          300+ Parts and Performance owner
                          http://www.300-plus.com
                          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                          X