Good 12V light source after start up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good 12V light source after start up?

I plan to buy some cheapo tinted lense gauges on eBay. These gauges need 12V source to be visible even during the day, so I am looking for good 12V power to keep the lights on after I start the car. I would like to know what source you guys recommand to tap. Thanks in advance!
    Matte Black 86T - Sold

best bet is to jam a voltmeter out, but I believe the cigarette lighter is a solid option.
    2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Wait. Lense guage? So the lights are pretty small right? There is a 12V signal to your stereo. Shouldn't draw to much power

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

you can also tap into the harness going to the power seat, it can be peeled back to your left foot area but it's always on.... so you can use this with a switch for just about anything

Comment

I really really want an electric fuel gauge, but most them are $150+ from Autometer...... So I do what poor guys do and search on eBay, found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250082729062

I know it's a ricey knock-off, but it comes with a sending unit. So I'm looking for a 12V that will stay on after I turn on my car and stay off after I shut her down, without the need of turning on light switch.

I guess if nothing works, I can always get a relay tap to the ignition switch and connected directly from battery, with a 15amp fuse of course......

Signal 12 wrote: best bet is to jam a voltmeter out, but I believe the cigarette lighter is a solid option.
          Hm... I remember the backlight (if that's what you refer to) from cigarette lighter only comes on with I turn the light switch.......?
          Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

simply86T wrote: Hm... I remember the backlight (if that's what you refer to) from cigarette lighter only comes on with I turn the light switch.......?
            I haven't pulled apart a cigarette lighter in a z31 before, but usually the electricity ran to the lighter heating element is 12V. Take a peek, there's probably multiple hot wires running to it if there's a backlight too.
            2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

if you want cheap gauges i can get you some 2" carbon fiber gauges or white faced gauges for $45 shipped each.

they probably are not the best out there. but they are cheap.

Comment

84z31 wrote: if you want cheap gauges i can get you some 2" carbon fiber gauges or white faced gauges for $45 shipped each.

they probably are not the best out there. but they are cheap.
                Got any electric fuel pressure gauge including the sender? I know the sending unit along is $100 from Autometer......
                Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

The voltage at the cigarette lighter comes on at the 1st or 2nd ACC position.
                  I have the power for my boost controller tapped into it.

Y'all remember these gauges right?

http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopi...908&highlight=

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

i have the greddy gauges.

white or black faced.

52mm size. fuel pressure gauge is $170

SPECS:
                    Greddy V2 52mm Electric Gauges
                    - The newly designed Greddy gauges are very easy to read, Greddy's new 52mm (2" Dia.) electronic gauges feature new and improved Red LED backlighting, for a new look and long life. Black gauges now have a black face and red indictaor needle. White face meters now have red lettering. The pressure values are displayed in standard (PSI) values and the temperature gauges remain in Celsius. LED Amber Lighting
                    # PSI Units for Pressure
                    # Fuel or Oil Pressure Sensor
                    # Complete with Sensors
                    # Easy to install harness
                    # Highly visible display
                    # Full 270 Sweep Start up Motion

Comment

Working...
                    X