Help me get this damn turbo out!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get this damn turbo out!!!

I've torn apart the whole side of my engine bay as Im in the process of installing my 60-1. Removed AC, got everything pretty much all apart with little drama. I didn't even break any exhaust studs while unbolting the manifold. However, there isn't enough clearance to slide it off the exhaust studs. So I'm assuming that I need to unbolt the engine mounts and raise the motor up a few inches for the necessary clearance. I have installed many turbos but never had to do it while the motor was in the car, OMG NEVER AGAIN!!! If this turbo shits the bed I will actually pull the motor to do this job as it will be literally hours quicker. Anyways, any personal advice or experiences are welcomed.

Loosen the driver's side engine mount and jack the engine up from the driver's side. You can get alot of room like this.

Comment

Just like mike said... Remove enginge mounts and jack it up from the drivers side of the pan. The only thing that really sucks is the oil/water lines and those stupid things they put on the nuts between the exhaust manifold and turbine housing. I find it easiest to do the rear passenger side nut with a stubby wrench. Once you have the water lines and stupid things off those nuts for good, it should take half as long.

Comment

Thanks for the fast replies!~ I already have those nuts off and everything disconnected, just gonna diconnect my 2 poly mounts (insert shameless plug here :wink: ) and jack that bitch up to get the necessary 3" of clearance. Then put the whole damn thing back together. The toughest part I found was the heat shields, as I left the upper manifold on which restricted easy access. And the stupid bracket that holds the water lines and Turbo-to-tb pipe and the other one on the back of the block for lifting the motor out. Grrrr :evil: , well almost done, thanks for reinforcing opinions!

Comment

Of course everything is easier if the motor was pulled out, like mine.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
          1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
          2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Umm...if you haven't finished yet, try pulling the wastegate setup off. My 60-1 wouldn't come off at all without taking off the entire wastegate assembly. I also have an N/A chassis so I had the stupid body mount on the strut tower that I had to break off.
            Originally posted by Andrew84zx
            tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Hardry har, funny you mention it! I've got everything back together and while lowering the motor back down onto the mounts I find that the WG bracket hits big time. OK, a little trimming and I'll get it squared away. WRONG! Got it trimmed out correctly and put it back on and all seems well and I have a inkling to test this fugger out before I start fabbing up my intake piping. I rigged up a setup on my compressor and applied some air pressure to it and lo-and-behold the WG actuator is bad, pissing out air all over the place. Oh well, time to buy a new WG actuator, looking into a dual diaphragm unit.

Comment

Working...
              X