new z owner intro + trim question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new z owner intro + trim question

Hello everyone. New z owner here. I picked up my 87 Turbocharged t-top model just a week ago now, and have just done a stereo install on it and want to move onto the engine+cosmetic stuff. So far I am loving it, except the fact that I am leaking power steering fluid, and need to replenish it every 3-4 days or so (is this common for the cars?) other than that, besides paint, everything looks clean.

I am about to take it in for a paint job and noticed that the black trim around the lower front bumper and sides below the door are screwed in. I have noticed some z31s dont have this trim (seems like it's only turbo models that have this trim, but I have seen turbo models without it and some NA models with it). Is it that it can be removed and it'll look the same as the ones without the trim? I have seen some people who have just painted their car with the trim on, but it doesn't look as nice. any help will be appreciated.

I only ask this trivial question because I had bad luck with bumper trims before. I took them off once, thinking it'll be ok looking, but underneath was a bunch of rust and i tried and tried and couldn't get the trim back on.

again thank you, any help/flame for newbie questions appreciated.

Pics of the car to come :P

It won't look the same as the cars that came without the trim because of the holes. You could fill them in, but I would just remove them and paint them separately.

Find your ps leak and fix it. Usually it is the high pressure hose and/or the rack.
    Chuck Stong
    300+ Parts and Performance owner
    http://www.300-plus.com
    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Like Firehawk said, it is probably the power steering hose that is leaking. They will leak after 20 years in service, especially if previous owner added wrong fluid. It takes automatic transmission fluid instead of regular power steering fluid. Have your friend turn steering wheel while your Z is stationary, and see if any fluid squirts out of hose.
      Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

simply86T wrote: Like Firehawk said, it is probably the power steering hose that is leaking. They will leak after 20 years in service, especially if previous owner added wrong fluid. It takes automatic transmission fluid instead of regular power steering fluid. Have your friend turn steering wheel while your Z is stationary, and see if any fluid squirts out of hose.
        Regular ps fluid works and will not cause it to leak. I have known a number of cars to use it for many years w/o any problems. I like to use atf since it is actually cheaper the ps fluid.
        Chuck Stong
        300+ Parts and Performance owner
        http://www.300-plus.com
        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

My system has power steering fluid in it and leaks very slightly (slightly slow every month maybe, it seams to have stopped leaking altogether now). I suspect these two facts may be related. It's also easy to outrun and get stiff on cold days (even with the better 87+ pump). Coincidence probably.
          My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
          My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
          207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

PS fluid slowly leaked out on my as well. ATF system flush and it is solid.

No car should "normally" leak out any fluid.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

thanks for all the replies everyone and help everyone. midterms are kicking my ass right now, but when they're over, i will try to get some pics up.

Comment

Working...
              X