Observations of Oil Temp Gauge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Observations of Oil Temp Gauge.

Just finally finished installing my oil temp gauge.
    Here are some observations I have gathered up while running the car with the gauge for a good 2-3 days now...

This is using regular Castrol GTX Conventional Oil, NA2T Conversion, Regular STP Oil filter, NO oil cooler, using an E-Fan.

Under normal highway driving which the motor is under little to any load the oil temp goes down and rests at around 115 degrees.
    Under traffic conditions (idling or accelerating and decelerating over and over again) the oil temp goes from 115 to 155 degrees in less than 5 minutes! :shock:

Also, the faster you drive (as in speed not acceleration) the cooler the oil temps get.

if Oil temps are 115 degrees, and I get in to boost (stock boost) for about 10 seconds, and let off, oil temp would go up to 150 degrees in less than 30 seconds!!! :shock:

I now understand why an oil cooler is a MUST if you get in to boost for more than 10 seconds...

The highest ive seen oil temps is driving stop light to stop light, it went as high as 165 degrees.

What temperature is a limit before I should let things cool off before the oil breaks down or cakes up?
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

what was ambient temperature?
    Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

simply86T wrote: what was ambient temperature?
      Outside Air Temp was 70-73 degrees, with pretty decent humidity (car is slow as shit when its humid out).

All this was done with E-fan on everywhere except the highway, since freeway CFM is higher than the fans CFM if that makes any sense?

Comment

Coking temperature is right around 300* so I dont see your oil temp being 170 max a big problem. Maybe you could throw an oil cooler on there if it makes you feel uncomfortable. I would start to be concerned if it starts to jump above 180.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

What about synthetic Oil?
          On Jasons FAQ, it says you can use Synthetic oil as an alternative to an oil cooler, Would this mean the fact that I wouldnt have to worry about an oil cooler with the use of synthetic oil?

Whats the break down or cooking temp of sythetic in general compared to dyno-oil

Comment

do you read your posts before you click submit??

Comment

I have seen temps much higher than that on the track and never had any oil related isues. If you dirve your car hard, switch to synthetic.
              Chuck Stong
              300+ Parts and Performance owner
              http://www.300-plus.com
              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: I have seen temps much higher than that on the track and never had any oil related isues. If you dirve your car hard, switch to synthetic.
                HAHA

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Haha. I need to fix my erl temp gauge. I've been meaning to do that forever, been waiting for a nice day. It's installed, but doesn't function (hasn't been top priority to me). Now I'm curious. I always run synthetic anyway. It's not that much more costly and it's not a bad idea all around, even if you drive like a geriatrics patient.

I haven't been overly concerned with temps lately. It's been so @#&*ing cold here lately. Driving home tonight at 70mph the coolent temp was only maintaining 150-ish degrees (stock gauge). It was tilted hard left instead of straight up and down normal. When i got to town and began stop-and-go driving, it went to normal. Maybe my t-stat is a bit sticky. At least it sticks on the low side.

*writes note to fix oil-temp gauge tomorrow*
                  My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                  My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                  207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

1SIKZ31 wrote: What about synthetic Oil?
                    On Jasons FAQ, it says you can use Synthetic oil as an alternative to an oil cooler, Would this mean the fact that I wouldnt have to worry about an oil cooler with the use of synthetic oil?

Whats the break down or cooking temp of sythetic in general compared to dyno-oil
                    For the most part, but I should add that only goes so far. Most synthetic oils will give you lower oil temperatures in and of themselves, but the much higher flashpoint means they are very unlikely to coke or break down under almost any abusive conditions your enigne will see. Oh, and a small horsepower increase has been dyno-proven time and time again so that's always a little plus.

Everything on this page is correct to the best of my knowledge:
                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Advantages
                    The technical advantages of synthetic motor oils include:

Measurably better low and high temperature viscosity performance
                    Better chemical & shear stability resulting in improved lubricating film strength
                    Decreased evaporative loss
                    Reduced friction
                    Resistance to oil sludge problems
                    Reduced engine deposits in some applications (Turbos)
                    Possibility of extended drain intervals

Benefits
                    Use of synthetic lubricants gives benefits such as:

Better fuel efficiency
                    Instantly lowered engine temperature for ~ 30 deg. F
                    Diminished engine 'cold start' and improved overall wear protection
                    Reduced exhaust emissions
                    Natural resource preservation and monetary savings due to extended drains and less energy used
                    I've run my synthetic in my winter car (Grand Prix GTP) for over 15K miles, it's $34 out the door for 5 quarts and a two filters so it actually ends up being less expensive in the long run; I dont see any reason not to run synthetic.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote:
                      I've run my synthetic in my winter car (Grand Prix GTP) for over 15K miles, it's $34 out the door for 5 quarts and a two filters so it actually ends up being less expensive in the long run; I dont see any reason not to run synthetic.
                      How do you like you gtp? I thought of getting one as my family car. Have a friend who has like 280K miles and I know he has driven it hard. hek, I've driven it hard once. just curious.

Comment

grab a beer... or six

Syn oil life story, and then some
                        http://mr2.com/TEXT/synth_oil.txt

Comment

im actually having the reverse problem. I have the mechanical fan, mobil one 5-30 syn, and an oil cool, with no thermostat for the oil cooler. my oil temp never goes over 130, if i idle for a while, it will creep up slowly to 150, but as soon as i start moving, down to 130. is it bad to have your oil so cold? has anyone with an earlier turbo automatic engine removed the oil cooler assembly? was thinking about doing that, i really dont run the car hard, and the only reason i put the oil cooler in is bc the lines were there and i thought i would need it.

thanks
                          ski
                          Ride it like you stole it...
                          1986 300zx NA2T - CM 3" turbo back, Pathy 3.0 Engine, Custom cold air intake, 255lph Walboro, T3 turbo, 90 shot of nitrous, 30A trans, 88t LSD, Poly everywhere, SS brakelines. 288whp 336wtq
                          2001 YZF600 - Sold for Nitrous and Exhaust Upgrade...
                          1993 Toyota Corolla - The invincible daily driver, off to greener pastures.
                          2002 Nissan Maxima SE - New daily driver

Comment

What should i consider as my upper limit for oil temp? I run full synthetic. I've never seen it over 160f and that was not moving at a stoplight. I'm sure it'll get higher at the track in the summer. i don't have a cooler. At what point should i let off and let her chill? 250F?
                            My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                            My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                            207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

yes, take the oil cooler + components off.. and sell it to me

Comment

Working...
                              X