FPR + Walbro Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPR + Walbro Install

I finally got around to installing my walbro fuel pump and adjustable regulator. The regulator has a single input, so I used a Y Fuel block to route the fuel lines off both rails into one. I have a gauge both on the regulator & the Y Block. At the same time, I replaced my spark plug wires since one was burnt up.

I can crank the car like normal, but it doesnt start now. Im getting fuel to the Y block. So the pump is working. Im gonna check & ensure the spark plug wires are tight (especially the 2/4/6 side, since its real tight there). Then run some codes. Im not sure what to place the adjustable regulator at. Should I start with it all the way loose or tight? I have the vac line hooked up, should I try removing it? What are some other things I should check?

***Cardomain Site***

just turn the ignition on and let the fuel pump kick in.. what pressure does your gauge read? im assuming your regulator references manifold pressure.. set it to 30psi and make sure the vacuum line is hooked up. if your car doesnt even kick when you are trying to start it then you have the fuel lines connected wrong and you are not getting pressure to the injectors.. o over your lines and make sure everything is the way it should be.. a moderate changes in fuel pressure should not stop the car from starting. it may run like hell bu it will start.

Comment

yea, im gonna try that this afternoon/evening. This morning, I checked the fuel pump fuse & it was fine. I then took off the fuel line before the rail (after the filter) & just turned ignition on. Fuel poured out. Then I put that back & took off the line after the rail but right before the new regulator. Turned the ignition & Fuel poured out. So I think the pump is good (thank god, I didnt wanna drop tank again)

Whenever I turn the ignition, both gauges (on regulator & at the Y-Block), read 0psi. I cant see what they read when I crank it. So maybe the regulator is hooked up wrong, I'll switch ports & try it again. I didnt know that the gauge should read pressure while the engine isnt actually running.

EDIT: the fpr just came with the pump, so I didnt really shop around for it. Looks like this:

I followed the directions and have the input going in opposite the gauge. and the output going down, opposite the adjustment screw. vac line is hooked into same place as old regulator & hooked to tiny side port on top of regulator

***Cardomain Site***

Comment

Well, I tried it the other way & it didnt work. So, I went & hooked it back up the way I had it. I guess I was too liberal with the allen screw because it worked once I put it back to how I originally had it.

I started it & it was on 90psi! Fuel was spraying out everywhere, so I backed off the screw & got it to about 30psi. Car runs alot stronger. Normally I have to "warm it up" before I can get a steady idle but it was instant with the new setup.

When Im in boost, I hear some weird noise but I think my spark plug wires are not tight. Might be my fuel is too low, cuz im on like 1/16 of a tank. Once I get this figured out, its time for the holset turbo

EDIT: I go this from the 88FSM on carfiche.com. The 86 manual has been "temp not avail" for a few days & they dont have an 87 manual posted. I dont know which one is closest to my year. Also, I have an imported motor (W). My ghetto A/F gauge is a narrowband one & sux. Anyone know what the fuel psi should be?

***Cardomain Site***

Comment

I would say 30psi at idle/full vacuum. There's no reason why it should be different for any of the years.
          1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
          2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

z

Comment

joeyfeets wrote: I finally got around to installing my walbro fuel pump and adjustable regulator. The regulator has a single input, so I used a Y Fuel block to route the fuel lines off both rails into one. I have a gauge both on the regulator & the Y Block. At the same time, I replaced my spark plug wires since one was burnt up.

I can crank the car like normal, but it doesnt start now. Im getting fuel to the Y block. So the pump is working. Im gonna check & ensure the spark plug wires are tight (especially the 2/4/6 side, since its real tight there). Then run some codes. Im not sure what to place the adjustable regulator at. Should I start with it all the way loose or tight? I have the vac line hooked up, should I try removing it? What are some other things I should check?
              hey are you that black dude on myspace with a z31 that is exatcly like yours and your in the military?
              87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

ya that is you i just checked your site,sup wit it man glad to see we got another brotha on here,i thought i was the only one :lol:
                87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

zmech wrote: BTW: I love the wheel choice on the RED. Very hot!
                  thanks, theyre cheapie wheels. wanna get some concave gold/bronze te37s one day.

87-85turbo wrote:
                  sup wit it man glad to see we got another brotha on here,i thought i was the only one :lol:
                  yea, its not the "highlander". there can be more than one in the z31 world. :lol:

I was on myspace previously but had to shut it down for undisclosed :roll: reasons, still got the cardomain though.

***UPDATE*** had spark plug wires 4/6 reversed. car runs great now. need a wideband to tune. (pics below)

***Cardomain Site***

Comment

If you come down to SA, you can use my wideband. Maybe you can help me find where all these parts go on the motor again. lol

Comment

Evil Z31 wrote: If you come down to SA, you can use my wideband.
                      LM1???

***Cardomain Site***

Comment

PLX Devices.

I've had it for years and works great.

Comment

Working...
                        X