Intake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake Question

While messing with the fuel pump/regulator, I moved my intake tract. It was previously right over the elec fan. I just bought a filter (old one was dirty) & put it straight on the AFM. Some people told me it would be bad because of "turbulent air" or some crap.

Also, I drilled some holes to let outside air flow directly to the filter. It also gives the possibility of water hitting the filter. I went to the car wash & sprayed the front bumper to see how much actually gets through. The filter had some water beads on it but wasnt soaking wet.

Is this bad? The water would have to make it through the turbo and alot of IC piping to get into the engine. If so, I guess I can put a screen over the holes to filter the water & still let through air.

***Cardomain Site***

I would cut that section out and remove the fog light on that side if you want some fresh air. Those tiny holes won't do much for you.

Comment

I cant find the pic right now but someone located their filter there, cut out the side of the headlight bucket and made a basic shield so the hot air coming through the radiator wasnt saturating the filter.

I agree with MikeZ, the holes aren't going to hurt you but they aren't doing much either. At slow speeds they are probably doing nothing at all.

If you take my suggestion above then I would leave the stock fog lamp in place. Instead cut a decent hole in the bottom of the headlight bucket if you feel the need for more air flow to the filter. I did this on my Z since I am pulling air from the headlight bucket. Cut a 2"x4" hole with an angle grinder and called it George. :wink:

At speed you should get good flow around the headlamps but making sure is always good.

There are some pics on the WWW below.
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Can kinda see were mine is. It is subject to lots of front side air/water. Has not givin me any issues at all.

Edit: I have no fog light

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Just make a shroud if you have any problems, Dan @ TSS did the same thing with his Z and had no problems. Some people require a shroud others dont, drive it and see...
          http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

MikeZ wrote: I would cut that section out and remove the fog light on that side if you want some fresh air. Those tiny holes won't do much for you.
            yea, I didnt have a sawzall, or anything to cut with. Just my lil drill, so I picked the largest bit and just started drilling. I dont have any foglights at all (pic in sig) and cutting the base of the headlight area sounds like a good idea.

I might also just cut out that whole area where I drilled holes too. I think I need to get one of those filter shrouds, cuz water can come straight between there & soak the filter. Not o much worried about splash from the bottom.

***Cardomain Site***

Comment

it was me.

heres the pictures

OR-Zman wrote: I cant find the pic right now but someone located their filter there, cut out the side of the headlight bucket and made a basic shield so the hot air coming through the radiator wasnt saturating the filter.

I agree with MikeZ, the holes aren't going to hurt you but they aren't doing much either. At slow speeds they are probably doing nothing at all.

If you take my suggestion above then I would leave the stock fog lamp in place. Instead cut a decent hole in the bottom of the headlight bucket if you feel the need for more air flow to the filter. I did this on my Z since I am pulling air from the headlight bucket. Cut a 2"x4" hole with an angle grinder and called it George. :wink:

At speed you should get good flow around the headlamps but making sure is always good.

There are some pics on the WWW below.
              [/img]

Comment

just a chime in here: good looking car Joey, any more pics?
                2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Signal 12 wrote: just a chime in here: good looking car Joey, any more pics?
                  thx... i got all the pics on my cardomain (click sig pic) & this free yahoo site: http://www.geocities.com/austin_racing

***EDIT*** signal 12: great car! I just saw your cardomain. I have trouble running hi-boost through my hks fmic. but if you run so much through it, maybe just my turbo is going out. I wanna clean up my engine bay like that & love the interior and hatch area. all my amp/sub wiring is exposed, its so ghetto

84z31: thats awesome, I think I need to do the same thing. My elec fan doesnt directly blow onto the filter anymore but its real close. Some metal might act as a heat soak and keep intake temps slighty cooler.

I was also thinking bout a hood vent to help hot air escape. maybe one near the front of the hood, right over the gap between the engine & radiator. good idea?
                  Im gonna find a junkyard hood & mangle that up, then get it painted to match my red.

***Cardomain Site***

Comment

84z31- I thought it was you I was thinking of but didn't want to say and not be absolutely sure.

In my mind doing something like that is well worth the effort. Sucking in engine bay heated air is a far second to fresh unheated air.
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

yup, its me.

:lol:

Comment

Working...
                      X