Rev problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rev problems

ok I have a 1986 N/A. When I start it she revs high like around 1200 and then when I go to press on the gass it wont rev over 3k it's liek i am bouncing off the rev limiter when i put it in drive it wants to stall out. Here is the list of things I have replaced or done to no effect.. MAF replaced and i checked it to mak esure it was working it glows hot when i turn off the car * should be good* TPS was replaced witha new one from pepboys fuel filter and fuel pump have both been replaced also. Someone onced mentioned that the catalic converter could be causing bad back pressure so I fixed that * hallowed it out emissions are non existant for cars over 20years old here. I'm really not good at reading/running codes really I have no clue how to do that to be honest. so any advice that anyone could give would be very helpful to me. thank you
    (please excuse any spelling mistakes/grammar, I have a hard time spelling)

ECCU Diagnostic Procedure with Codes
    http://z31.com/oboard/archives/view.pl?151
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

woot thank you i'll have to try this on my day off

Comment

Haynes and FSM are your best friends for this stuff.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

ummm i read the ECU diag and was wondering step 14 says to turn on the A/c then turn it off. well my A/C is busted and makes a horrable grinding sound when i turn it on ( A/C compressor is shot to hell) should I still turn it on or not for this

Comment

phates wrote: ummm i read the ECU diag and was wondering step 14 says to turn on the A/c then turn it off. well my A/C is busted and makes a horrable grinding sound when i turn it on ( A/C compressor is shot to hell) should I still turn it on or not for this
            Its just to clear a code, just skip that step.
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

ok i ran codes today and if i did it right they came back as 23 and 41...now to try to find how to fix the problem and advice to get my Z back in running order would be great and thanks for the help

Comment

phates wrote: TPS was replaced witha new one from pepboys
                did you or guys at pepboys adjust TPS position using an ohm meter? because it sounds like TPS is off......
                Matte Black 86T - Sold

Comment

will test tps to make sure it is set right tomorrow

Comment

Ill have to say its your MAF,common problem with similar symptoms when they go bad.And you turn your air-con on to put load on the electrical system to trigger the idle up.You can also just turn on your headlights do get the same effect.
                    Straya, +61

Comment

*sigh things never go as planed. so while i was loosining the screws that holde in the TPS both of them broke, and also took part of the throttle housing with them so there was no way to rescrew or tap new holes. went off to the junk yard today and got new throttlebody. but somehow i think i messed something up because when i start the car it revs at somewhere around 3k or higher sigh. but on a brighter note i found my origional rev problem was due to the TPS not being in the correct position oh and if anyone could tell me the wiring order from top to bottom that would be nice cause i think i might have gottom them out of place

Comment

just wanted to say thanks for all the help it was the TPS that was causing me problems. the advice was great and the help was much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X